This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Server Hardware for openplotter?
Edit:
I have edit this post to find information quickly:
Where to buy the Board: GeDaD Shop
How it Works: Quick Guide
How to install: Installation Guide
How to use the App:  App description
The code: Github
Technical Data: Technical Data
Manual: Manual (At the Moment only in German, work on the translation)
Deb Package: MCS App

Let me know if a link does not work or if you have further questions.

Hi Guys,
at the Moment I use Openplotter at my sailboat.
I have several NMEA0183 an a N2K device on it.
I´m not afraid of my installation. all is "tinkered together"
I design and sell in part time next to my job pcb for homeautomation. 
I think about to design a PCB with "all on board" first for me but I also can imagen to sell it as open hardware (with CE)

What I want to ask here:
Is anyone intrested in somthing like that?
I search one who can make "the software side" so if anybody uses the board all runs out of the box? (I put the hardware ;-) )

For further Prices I think such a board is about 60€ without case and connectors.

I imaging somethink like that:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xn7u8X...7NoNNxd_2A

On the I2C conector you can bind several further I/O Modules like analog, digital In/out and so on.
Information an a overview of my hardware you found here: www.gedad.de

Thomas
I think some of the hardware that Sailoog is offering (and has in the works) has the same goal, and many are clearly very happy with it. I agree that having a professional case with waterproof glands and good cooling (mutually exclusive?), and a board with lots of I/O would be a great benefit. I struggle with enough USB connectors for things like RS422, GPS pucks, DAC (for Squeezeplayer), SSD, thumbdrives (for updating charts or transfering logs), WiFi and phone USB tethering. I also think protected, filtered, 12-14v power is very important. While I understand why a lot of cases have the 4 USB connectors exposed to the outside, I worry about things that are plugged in.

So, my wish list would be:
- fused, filtered 12-14V power. Provision of power to the RPI via GPIO pins and not the micro-USB
- internal screw terminals for multiple isolated NMEA 0183 RS 422 inputs (and perhaps CAN Bus?). These can easily feed into the RPI via USB.
- internal screw terminals for I2C, also isolated
- onboard GPS with connector for external antenna (with an sma connector on the outside of the case)
- onboard SDR for AIS (with a BNC connector on the outside of the case)
- powered USB hub with vertical connectors *inside* the box. I like vertical connectors because it's often difficult to plug in larger usb devices horizontally side by side. The box would need enough free space to accommodate, and enough waterproof glands for entry. The case would probably need as much as 6-10cm behind the USB connector for the USB device and good cable management.
- Onboard IMU / compass. I don't think internal humidity/temperature would be very effective.
- Connector for external display. This isn't the HDMI, I'm talking about a small information display that can be configured and mounted remotely.
- and since I'm wishing, a place for an SSD, with USB controller!
- a single button power off / power on with GPIO pins for controlled shutdown.
- a small battery or supercapacitor for controlled shutdown on unintentional power failure.
- and of course, a good quality plastic case for it all, with mounting ears. Metal cases are nice, but cut the WiFi signal.

If you can do all that for $60 Euros, I'll buy one!
(2019-05-17, 02:01 PM)abarrow Wrote: I think some of the hardware that Sailoog is offering (and has in the works) has the same goal, and many are clearly very happy with it. // Yes, but its all with cable and tinkered together. Iwant something wich is all together on a board... I agree that having a professional case with waterproof glands and good cooling (mutually exclusive?), and a board with lots of I/O would be a great benefit. I struggle with enough USB connectors for things like RS422, GPS pucks, DAC (for Squeezeplayer), SSD, thumbdrives (for updating charts or transfering logs), WiFi and phone USB tethering. I also think protected, filtered, 12-14v power is very important. //All I/O´s have optocopler/Dali driver with TVS protection. They ar tolerant from 8-28V... While I understand why a lot of cases have the 4 USB connectors exposed to the outside, I worry about things that are plugged in.

So, my wish list would be:
- fused, filtered 12-14V power. Provision of power to the RPI via GPIO pins and not the micro-USB //if you look the picture you find a fuse and a step down converter with 8-28V Input... ;-)
- internal screw terminals for multiple isolated NMEA 0183 RS 422 inputs (and perhaps CAN Bus?). These can easily feed into the RPI via USB. // Yes, but i want it on the board over uart or SPI, evt. with a controller… they are protected through optocoplers and TVS
- internal screw terminals for I2C, also isolated // they on board, isolated and wit TVS. Without I can´t get CE... 
- onboard GPS with connector for external antenna (with an sma connector on the outside of the case) // no, I let space so you can also mount the Moitessier hat...
- onboard SDR for AIS (with a BNC connector on the outside of the case) // see before
- powered USB hub with vertical connectors *inside* the box. I like vertical connectors because it's often difficult to plug in larger usb devices horizontally side by side. The box would need enough free space to accommodate, and enough waterproof glands for entry. The case would probably need as much as 6-10cm behind the USB connector for the USB device and good cable management. //for what do you need long usb? But I use waterproof USB connectors from in to outside the case...
- Onboard IMU / compass. I don't think internal humidity/temperature would be very effective. //see Moitessier for compass. For hum, temp and pressure i have wlan sensors witch send nmea UDP datas https://www.gedad.de/shop/gecos-wireless...4887141922 for pressure I can mount the Sensor on the board.
- Connector for external display. This isn't the HDMI, I'm talking about a small information display that can be configured and mounted remotely. //for what do you need this? I do all over remote? I use a second Pi on the boat for navigation with a display...
- and since I'm wishing, a place for an SSD, with USB controller! // it´s o.k... I use SLC NAND flash. They works great.
- a single button power off / power on with GPIO pins for controlled shutdown. // I can do that but think its better to do this over Power Supply (no power, pi shuts down. Power back, Pi starts)
- a small battery or supercapacitor for controlled shutdown on unintentional power failure. //also..
- and of course, a good quality plastic case for it all, with mounting ears. Metal cases are nice, but cut the WiFi signal. //I use alu cases and this is no problem… works good. I have several in use and tested….

If you can do all that for $60 Euros, I'll buy one! //Yes I can for the board without connectors and the case.
(Ciao Thomas, mi scuso per l'inglese di google. Non sono elettronico, ma mi interessa la tua scheda, un patto che si può vedere sopra (o sotto) un Moitessier e che ci sono spiegazioni per i vari allacciamenti e prevedere per Rasberry Pi3 + Fammi sapere e buon vento.)

Hello Thomas, I apologize for English of google. They are not electronic, but your card interests me, on condition that it can be put over (or under) to Moitessier and that there are explanations for the several connections and shaped for Rasberry Pi3+. Make to know and good wind me.
Hi,
here you find my first planing:

I consider my pin selection throu moitessier hat. I use spi cs1 and controlled I²C adresses. I used onli GPIO wich not used by the hat.
First I Planed 6xNMEA0183 , 1xNMEA2000
Also Planed 1-Wire (do you think its necessary?) RTC, I²C for More I/O.
The IC´s for Uart and Can are supportet by the Pi out of the box.

What do you think of it? Actual I look for a cool case...
Send it If I had the Prices...
no need for rtc it gets time from gps
(2019-05-21, 10:19 AM)jim321 Wrote: no need for rtc it gets time from gps

I use the Pi also for Multimedia. As Example on a anchor place. At this time I shut down my GPS Antenna.
I think not every one need this but i think for a few it is a good gimmic.
The rtc is supportet by dtoverlay. Becouse of this it is easy to use.
If anybody do not need the RTC, dont install it. The cost is very low for the IC. The Battery holder I can let leave as default. So if anyone need the rtc he can mount the Battery holder.
What do you think?
i think a multimedia device should be separate from a navigation device.

but thats up to you

i already have a tv, dvd, fm radio and laptop for media playback and a terabyte of movies, tv shows, music.
After assembling my 1st configuration in a standard vented project box, I came to the config below which I think a fair balanced approach :
  • PC unit : of course an openplotter distribution on a  Pi 3B+,
  • Enclosure : Pi desktop, a classy, WIFI and Bluetooth friendly (made of resin), not waterproof to avoid any condensation issue, and leave a way out to humidity and excessive heat.
  • Micro fan for heat extraction :
  • SSD mSATA 128 GB (SSD is a Pi desktop feature) ;
  • secure on/off button, (Pi desktop feature) ;
  • NO SD CARD ;
    Note : at 55€, Pi Desktop is not a low cost enclosure, but consider the bunch of offered features : (SSD support, secure on/off switch, absence of SD card, free room to acomodate fan, power supply and compass).
  • Strong supply, step down 8..36V to 5.24V (USB limit being 5.25V !), 5A, protected by a Schottky diode against reversed polarity, fits in Pi desktop enclosure ;
  • GY91 module as barometer (BME280) and IMU (MPU9250), installed in Pi desktop enclosure ;
  • All Internal data and fan connections by wire wrapping (fast, very reliable and quite reversible technique, perfect for prototyping and small series) ;
  • AIS : by SDR via a powered  USB HUB, but now many DSC VHF offers that function, using a single antenna, and connected via an RS422/USB adapter ;
  • GNSS : via a cheap, small, dual USB module, offering both GPS and GLONASS ; easily replaced when more players will turn around the planet (Galileo, Beidou) :
  • Boat NMEA0183 (1st gen.) : via a DB9 RS232 USB adapter;
  • Everything fits in the box, or is connected via USB ...
Multimedia : I agree with Jim321 than video, requiring huge disk and large screen and related high power consumption should be supported by different system, but Music is part of the navigation, and I put a few GB of mp3 on the SSD, using VLC and the Bluetooth to send to a speaker, works like a charm ! Wink

What I will always favor :  a small 11 x 11 x 5 cm enclosure, a single VHF antenna, lowest possible power consumption, ease of use of the USB ...

Attached Files Image(s)

Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2019-05-22, 07:00 PM)Didier B Wrote: Hi Didier,
thanks for your comment.

After assembling my 1st configuration in a standard vented project box, I came to the config below which I think a fair balanced approach :
  • PC unit : of course an openplotter distribution on a  Pi 3B+,
  • Enclosure : Pi desktop, a classy, WIFI and Bluetooth friendly (made of resin), not waterproof to avoid any condensation issue, and leave a way out to humidity and excessive heat. My experience is that alu cases are no problem. I use them in different enviroments also industrie. You have roaund about 5-10% less of Wlan Power. I think in a boat this is no problem. The benefit in a alucase is that you do not need a ventilation. I usually use big cases and there is no problem
  • Micro fan for heat extraction :
  • SSD mSATA 128 GB (SSD is a Pi desktop feature) ; As I discriped above. I leave space in the case for this.
  • secure on/off button, (Pi desktop feature) ; I think you mean the "Power" Button? See in the Picture. I have planed this as an 8-28V In. High= On, Low= Pi shuts down and cut connection when down.
  • NO SD CARD ;
    Note : at 55€, Pi Desktop is not a low cost enclosure, but consider the bunch of offered features : (SSD support, secure on/off switch, absence of SD card, free room to acomodate fan, power supply and compass).
  • Strong supply, step down 8..36V to 5.24V (USB limit being 5.25V !), 5A, protected by a Schottky diode against reversed polarity, fits in Pi desktop enclosure ; At the moment I use a MP1593. 3A normal. I calibrate them to 5,15V until now I have never problems with that. Why so higth? You think 8-28V range is not enough? Should I expand this?
  • GY91 module as barometer (BME280) and IMU (MPU9250), installed in Pi desktop enclosure ; First my plan was to do this. But after the comment of abarrow I have change. I have ready a Firmware for my W-Lan Sensor (GeCoS-W-TH). This is a BME280 with a ESP. Until now it also sends  NMEA UDP (Pressure, Temp, hum). I think its better becouse you can use it in a better enviroment. It also works with 8-28V
  • All Internal data and fan connections by wire wrapping (fast, very reliable and quite reversible technique, perfect for prototyping and small series) ; My english is not so good ;-) I dont understand what you mean with this point?
  • AIS : by SDR via a powered  USB HUB, but now many DSC VHF offers that function, using a single antenna, and connected via an RS422/USB adapter ; Yes, but the most AIS reciever also use NMEA0183/2000?
  • GNSS : via a cheap, small, dual USB module, offering both GPS and GLONASS ; easily replaced when more players will turn around the planet (Galileo, Beidou) :
  • Boat NMEA0183 (1st gen.) : via a DB9 RS232 USB adapter;
  • Everything fits in the box, or is connected via USB ...
Multimedia : I agree with Jim321 than video, requiring huge disk and large screen and related high power consumption should be supported by different system, but Music is part of the navigation, and I put a few GB of mp3 on the SSD, using VLC and the Bluetooth to send to a speaker, works like a charm ! Wink
I think I have wrong expressed: I have no Monitor on this Pi. I use it as a bluetooth reciever (The boxes on the Pi) so I can stream the Music from my phone or tablett. And I have internetradio on this pi wich I can controll from my phone.

What I will always favor :  a small 11 x 11 x 5 cm enclosure, a single VHF antenna, lowest possible power consumption, ease of use of the USB ...