This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob question: NMEA gps out to vhf marine radio?
(2019-07-02, 10:41 AM)Melipone Wrote: Thanks! I thought maybe as you only mentioned 2 wires I'd need something for 4, but I suppose the VHF doesn't need to send any data to the Pi. Will give it a try!

Before I bought a Class B AIS, I connected the NMEA out of radio at 38400 baud to my opencpn to have the AIS on screen. I had a separate adapter for each direction because of the baud rates.
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan
(2019-07-03, 12:34 AM)svkatielee Wrote:
(2019-07-02, 10:41 AM)Melipone Wrote: Thanks! I thought maybe as you only mentioned 2 wires I'd need something for 4, but I suppose the VHF doesn't need to send any data to the Pi. Will give it a try!

Before I bought a Class B AIS, I connected the NMEA out of radio at 38400 baud to my opencpn to have the AIS on screen. I had a separate adapter for each direction because of the baud rates.
That's interesting. So, the class B AIS (a transceiver, I'm presuming?), receives GPS at a lower baud rate from OpenPlotter,  and provides AIS target charting to OpenPlotter at the higher baud rate? If so, I'd not considered that duplex at different speeds was do-able.

Am I understanding correctly?
Elliott
(2019-07-03, 11:15 AM)skyeyedoc Wrote:
(2019-07-03, 12:34 AM)svkatielee Wrote:

That's interesting. So, the class B AIS (a transceiver, I'm presuming?), receives GPS at a lower baud rate from OpenPlotter,  and provides AIS target charting to OpenPlotter at the higher baud rate? If so, I'd not considered that duplex at different speeds was do-able.

Am I understanding correctly?
Elliott

Almost but not quite. Almost all Class B AIS transceivers have a GPS built in, so their output is NMEA 0183 at 38400 baud, They output both their AIS sentences and their GPS sentences. The UN-official standard for GPSs is they output (on the OUT+ and OUT- (or GND)) the GPS sentences at 4800 baud. My older Standard Horizon radio had an AIS receiver built-in, but no GPS. So I had to give it GPS sentences at 4800 to the NMEA IN+ and GND at 4800 and it output the AIS on NMEA OUT+ and GND at 38400.  So in this case 3 wires were used.

Some devices have NMEA IN+ and IN- and OUT+ and OUT- so 4 wires (not duplex at different bauds on the same pair.) Usually the -(minus) is actually ground. RS232 is actually -12v=1 and +12v=0, but works ok (abused Recommended Specification(RS)) with +5v and 0.0v )

AIS has a potential of a lot more data thus it needs the higher baud rate to get all the data transfered. (I saw 538 ships on AIS as I rounded Singapore a while back. )
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan