This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues upgrading new install
Hello all,
Pi 3B+
OP 1.0.img
(NOOBS won’t work with my 7” touchscreen)

My initial question is why not have the newer OP and beta releases available on GitHub to download an .img files versus dealing with the nagging update processes. Would someone with a solid Pi3B+ OP1.2 .img be willing to post it somewhere others could use it?

I’m stumbling trying to upgrade a new 1.0 install, I’ve tried it six ways to Sunday and no matter the technique it errors out and refuses to upgrade.

My first hurdle was getting past the nagging “set wifi country” hurdle so I edited the wpa_supplicant.conf file to US and then was able to connect to wifi in client mode set via OP. Without changing the .conf file the message wouldn’t clear no matter where in Raspbian you entered locale info. Another nagging issue is there is no eth0 functionality when cabled to a good switch.

I’ve tried multiple ways to update/upgrade Raspbian, OP, & OpenCPN. No matter which order, method or other the updates error out usually due to hostapd issues and I can’t progress any further. I’m stuck with a handicapped OP1.0 version that refuses to upgrade on a stock Pi3B+. One issue was Chromium was halting upgrades so I removed it and it’s ffmpeg companion.

The sticking point seems to be related to hostapd / stretch errors. Depending on the source some people suggest it’s a Broadcom driver issue in Stretch, other forums suggest it’s a hostapd bug. I figured perhaps someone here has dealt with this and could perhaps help me over the hurdle. I’ve tried many of the various apt-mark and systemctl enable hostapd.service suggestions found here. While I’ve made some progress I’m not quite there yet.

To dis-spell questions about the board having issues, I can load Rasbian strech then install OpenCPN via PPA and things work as they should. I’d prefer to have signalk and some of the other OP offerings functioning without re-inventing the wheel and having to load them individually.

Have other 3B+ users encountered these problems? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
PegLeg
i just burnt 1.0 img. to usb and updated to 1.2 this morning using ethernet no problems.
Jim, thanks for checking, maybe there's an issue with my B+Pi or technique.

I just tried again. Step by step
burned a fresh 1.0.img to micro SD
booted Pi with ethernet cable attached
there were no network connections, set wifi country displayed in network manager tab
after OP runs thru it's script it ends with couldn't update confirming no net
I went into both preferences and set locale and OP to set net to client and eth0
reboot, still nothing...

It seems like some network related changes I make to locale, aren't persistent across reboots no matter where or how I make the changes. If I sudo raspi-config nothing sticks, if I use the gui menu to set wifi country it won't stick after a reboot. When I boot back up it's stuck in GB.

Maybe there is an issue with the board.... When I plug the same ethernet line into my laptop it works fine. I still can't get wifi without nano'ing to wpa-supplicant file to permanently read US vs. GB. and no matter how I try it won't use eth0 even though ifconfig shows it's up.

When you initially boot up what steps do you take? Do you have eth0 access right away? Are you booting from USB or Micro SD?

I'm somewhat of a Raspi noob & new to OP, I'm not a linux noob 

My Pi isn't completely crippled it will run OP, oCpn, and seems to play fairly well with other devices but I'd like to upgrade it and I'm stumped why I'm having so many network issues.

I don't suppose you'd put that 1.2.img file on DropBox would ya?
i  updated without making any changes first, first boot, vnc in on home network's pi's address 192.168.1.x  default pass "raspberry" then start op & update.
the ethernet does not need configuration, then after the update i config net, i2c, serial, local, ect.
After removing hostapd it acts like it's trying to upgrade.

What seems to bungle it up was the OP update script automatically calling for raspbian upgrade scripts prior to installing the OP upgrade. There's a bug noted by hostapd's developer in the way the i[dated version handles some of it's .conf files that seemed to be causing it to error which halts he entire OP upgrade script.

Hopefully I can re-install hostapd after the OP upgrade, meanwhile I'm thinking it's time to order another Pi to see if that's part of the issue. As with most things linux it takes a few trys to get things working correctly when it involves new to me material.

Is there a particular Pi model that's best suited for OP?

I originally planned to use a 3B+ with a small touch screen as an AP (or cabled to the boats AP) linked to a client pypilot Pi, then network the 3B+ as an AP to other devices such as smart phones or laptops.

Related question - is there a good thread here detailing how to best configure NMEA serving? I'm realizing there are some nuances where OPcn can serve a connected GPS. I tried a GPS donle attached directly to the pypilot but for some reason I can't get gpsd data to networked OCpn instances; I've tried ports 2947, 10110, 20220, etc... what am I missing.

How have others meshed their devices and data streams successfully? Are there any screen shots of simple OP server or OCpn settings?

Thanks,
PegLeg
Making a new image after any intermediate update is not an option because it is a hard work. What we have learnt is that after long time from the release the update process can be really long and heavy. We will solve this in v2.0.0 in 2 ways.

- Creating a superscript to generate img and NOOBS files. You just need a Ubuntu system, a good connection and some hours. Running this script you will get a fresh OP image and NOOBS to latest version even intermediate versions.

- To update directly from OP without using the superscript method this time we will make incremental and partial updates, updating only what we need and not all packages.

- We have created an openplotter PPA repository where we have simplified and packaged all programs that now we have to compile every update: https://launchpad.net/~openplotter/+arch...penplotter this way we save space because we do not need to install packages required for compilation and we make easy updating with "sudo apt update/install"

OpenPlotter 2.0.0 is taking more than expected but we will solve lot of problems and requests like this.
(2019-05-29, 07:34 PM)PegLeg Wrote: After removing hostapd it acts like it's trying to upgrade.

What seems to bungle it up was the OP update script automatically calling for raspbian upgrade scripts prior to installing the OP upgrade. There's a bug noted by hostapd's developer in the way the i[dated version handles some of it's .conf files that seemed to be causing it to error which halts he entire OP upgrade script.

Hopefully I can re-install hostapd after the OP upgrade, meanwhile I'm thinking it's time to order another Pi to see if that's part of the issue. As with most things linux it takes a few trys to get things working correctly when it involves new to me material.

Is there a particular Pi model that's best suited for OP?

I originally planned to use a 3B+ with a small touch screen as an AP (or cabled to the boats AP) linked to a client pypilot Pi, then network the 3B+ as an AP to other devices such as smart phones or laptops.

Related question - is there a good thread here detailing how to best configure NMEA serving? I'm realizing there are some nuances where OPcn can serve a connected GPS. I tried a GPS donle attached directly to the pypilot but for some reason I can't get gpsd data to networked OCpn instances; I've tried ports 2947, 10110, 20220, etc... what am I missing.

How have others meshed their devices and data streams successfully? Are there any screen shots of simple OP server or OCpn settings?

Thanks,
PegLeg

3B+ is perfect.

You do not have to edit opencpn connections. opencpn must listening only at localhost TCP 10110 and kplex, pypilot amd signal k are in charge to send data to this connection. All you networked OCpn instances should listenning at <openplotterIP> TCP 10110 as well.

Another thing we have learnt, we need good docs Smile
you might try to run this first then update
sudo npm install -g npm
Success, my crippled FrankenPi was able to upgrade, I'm thinking the eth0 port must have taken one lightening strike too many at some point so I'll order another.

I persevered and forced it to upgrade during which it locked up once or twice but I've finally got a working 1.2 OP Pi. I re-installed a lower version of hostapd. I didn't want to risk crashing what I've got thus far so I'll apt-mark hold it for now. At best this has been a great salon experiment to tie everything together so I now know what I really need, how to do it and how I want to do it next time. There's still some goofy networking issues but my half bricked FrankenPi will suffice for now or make for a nice spare.

Thanks to some trial and error and lots of wisdom from these boards I've got it working and my NMEA devices tied into a PyPilot (Factory Pi 0w PyPilot straight from Oriental Wink ), which is linked to my OpenPlotter FrankenPi. I'm able to connect any device I want to the system and I've got all the data everywhere and full control of the PyPilot. I love the units Sean built and the support he's given was well worth the purchase.

Next is a rudder feedback system and a few more nmea toys. It's an oldschool boat with hydraulic steering with a small DC motor belt driving a small hyd motor/pump tee'd into the lines, vintage '70's stuff but it still works great and it's simple to replace any part of it fairly cheap. Time will tell, what's there is 50+ years old and still works.

Thank you all for your contributions, I truly love the opensource community and the accomplishments that become possible when people help one another.

Thank you gentlemen
Even greater success!
I re-tried a NOOBS install and it worked almost flawlessly, there was one hiccup where PIP red-lined and seized the upgrade process but a simple reboot and 2nd run through the upgrade scripts and things went perfectly. For what ever reason my eth0 port is still inop but aside from that everything works as advertised.

I'd suggest the NOOB's route now that I've run through it. Jim, I heeded your advice and installed mpm prior to doing anything. I think my earlier issue with a failed noobs attempt was simply not cut & pasting the files onto the SD, I believe I DD'd everything to the sd card on the 1st attempt and it must have simply hung on boot and wasn't displaying anything.