This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using ESP2866 to connect motor driver
(2019-06-04, 09:36 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I don't think this imu is supported, but the driver for imu is a small piece of code so it would not be difficult to support.  It only needs raw sensor values.

At the top of the mast, accelerometers will give very high readings in waves, possibly exceeding 2g and saturating them unless you use a larger range with decreased resolution.   The gyros also might be influenced although they are not supposed to.   I think only the compass would maybe be improved but not in a useful amount.   In theory it wouldn't matter at all because the math compensates everything, but the system has discrete time and noise, so I'm sure it won't give as accurate results.   It might work, and in flat water it won't matter much, but in waves I think it's a bad idea.  

What is the motivation?  To avoid running 1 extra wire when you already have 2 for power?    wind sensors only need one wire for tx to send nmea data.    You could also use a wireless connection for the wind sensors.

There is no advantage of putting the gps up there that I know of.

Yes running extra wires was the motivation. I am used to, building drones, needing to get the compass away from negative influences and giving the GPS a clear view of the sky.  If you count the I2C, serial for GPS, Speed (analog?) and direction you have quite a few wires to deal with. Plus I guess getting the devices away from more easily being damaged at deck level.

It is probably smarter to distribute the functions on multiple sbc rather than using one more sophisticated board so I will stick with an 9250 series IMU. Bring a draw full of PI zeros as spares Smile

Thanks for your thoughts

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using ESP2866 to connect motor driver - by mike_kelly - 2019-06-04, 11:29 PM