This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using ESP2866 to connect motor driver
(2019-06-05, 12:40 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: If you do end up putting it at the top of the mast I would love to hear about it.   The motor controller needs a bi-directional serial link but the baud rate could be 4800 or even lower.

I suggest if you try this, have another pi zero on the deck and compare performance for compass steering at least.  I don't think it will make much difference unless you have waves.   The compass is not affected much even on steel boats, since it's basically steering from the gyros, the compass and accelerometers compensate integration drift.

gps can get a clear view of the sky from the deck no?

Might be interesting to simulate. One set on top of a pole and the other at the bottom and log the results. So I should be able to use ESP8266 modules for the motor controller to PiZ at those baud rates.

Why do all the drone implementations use an additional external mag chip like the old HMC5883 rather than use the AK8963 internal to the MPU9250 series like you do? Is it because "it's basically steering from the gyros" and an external mag is just not required?

It is going to be a fun project, thanks Sean!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using ESP2866 to connect motor driver - by mike_kelly - 2019-06-05, 01:36 AM