This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymarine Seatalk
What a great project!!!! I have been using openplotter / opencpn all summer and I like it so much, I bought a nice 12" monitor and installed the PI3 on the back of the screen. I even removed my old SH plotter and solely use the PI3 with the wifi enable, using my android tablet with another opencpn or the Signal K.
Currently I'm using a USB GPS but I'm in the process to connect it to a Furuno SC50 Gyro GPS.
On the top of my wishlist is to have the system connect directly to the Raymarine Seatalk. I have this old SC50 windsystem that I will "never" get rid off. The display is the old-school analog type and no digital repeater beats that analog display. It would be so nice to connect directly to the OP with this. I know there are (expensive) converters but every converter is a source of failure....
Thank to all people involved in this project!
Good job.
Henk
S/Y Brandaris
Halifax, NS
getting the raw data in Isn't an issue look here:

http://www.thomasknauf.de/rap/seatalk3.htm

I guess the next step would be for someone to write some code to convert the seatalk strings into NMEA. Not being a coder I don't know how tough that is, but the site above even shows the little bit of circuitry that is needed to get the seatalk bus into RS-232 format.
(2017-01-04, 10:50 PM)pcmm Wrote: getting the raw data in Isn't an issue  look here:

I guess the next step would be for someone to write some code to convert the seatalk strings into NMEA.  Not being a coder I don't know how tough that is,  but the site above even shows the little bit of circuitry that is needed to get the seatalk bus into RS-232 format.

Since NMEA 0183 is handled by kplex, this isn't really an Openplotter thing, it's more about kplex accepting Seatalk input. It is discussed in the kplex FAQ. It appears that the kplex author isn't very enthusiastic about including Seatalk.

I suppose some sort of external thing could be written. It might be possible for someone to write some arduino code so that a little translator could be externally attached.
(2017-05-30, 10:04 PM)abarrow Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 10:50 PM)pcmm Wrote: getting the raw data in Isn't an issue  look here:

I guess the next step would be for someone to write some code to convert the seatalk strings into NMEA.  Not being a coder I don't know how tough that is,  but the site above even shows the little bit of circuitry that is needed to get the seatalk bus into RS-232 format.

Since NMEA 0183 is handled by kplex, this isn't really an Openplotter thing, it's more about kplex accepting Seatalk input. It is discussed in the kplex FAQ. It appears that the kplex author isn't very enthusiastic about including Seatalk.

I am using a YAPP ST to USB converter designed by Angus McDoon on the YBW forum some years ago.
I have not been able to contact him, but it's a neat little device
It runs on a PIC microcontroller. I have the design and code and a few PCB's as well.
Tried to make it work on Arduino but no luck because of the odd 9bit format.

Regards, Harry
Perhaps since you have the designs, this device can be resurrected?
Oh yes, but I would prefer to speak with the original designer.
I think the box fills a gap in the Openplotter functionality since there is still a lot of SeaTalk kit around.
It is not expensive to make, but there are newer PIC devices that are cheaper and easier to obtain.
PM me if you want more details.
Signalk 0183 parser has some support for seatalk, and more are in the works from https://github.com/raffmont/signalk-parser-nmea0183
It's nice to have a SignalK parser , but how to handle the SeaTalk 9 bits frame format?
I have not been able to do this in Python.
There are a few 9bit libraries for Arduino, I am getting mixed results depending on Arduino IDE version.
I have taken the cowardly approach of buying a device that translates seatalk and nmea, and you can still send seatalk messages encapsulated in nmea with $STALK messages. see http://www.gadgetpool.de/bestellen/catal...ucts_id/54
link does not work

how about a ESP32 WiFi solution: Seatalk connecting to GPIOs with the 9bit Arduino code and NMEA over WiFi. Anyone experiencing with this?