This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter
Hi all,

I bought one of these https://canable.io/ with the intention of using it to integrate old NMEA 0183 gear with newer N2K gear. 

I'm not finding much information out there regarding this particular dongle, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences or information they could share.

I am hoping to use SignalK as the multiplexer between the two networks. I use a miniplex 2Wi as a nmea-0183 seatalk 1 multiplexer, which puts everything on Wifi both directions. They do have a 2k version but I don't want or need to spend that much, at least not before I try to do it on the ARM board, and of course help everybody else in the process.

Barry.
I have a working setup fo the Canable Canbus adapter.

At first I flashed the candlelight firmware.

Then you have to activate the canbus adapter in the terminal with:
sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 250000
(can be automated at startup)

However you don't see the can0 in Openplotter.
then go to SignalK

install signalK to nmea183 and SignalK to nmea2000

go to server > data providers

switch on Opcan ID OPcan Canbus (canboatjs) interface can0

switch on OPKplex

Go the Plugin Config activate SignalK to NMEA183 and check the items you like to receive in 183 from 2K.

Convert SignalK to NMEA2000

There are more options you can use.

Works very well and you get the nmea2000 data in de Kplex multiplexer and from the multiplexer to OpenCPN.

Work is going on to make the TwoCan plugin for OpenCPN. More or less based on the same Canboat translating of the NMEA2000 signals.

Bram

Can-L Blue wire and Can-H white wire from the NMEA2K cable.
I just received my Canable Pro. Tried to flash the Candlelight firmware as before. However no longer shows the lights on the board. This was done on a Linux system.

Next tried the update utility on a Windows 7 systeem and now the Canable board is working. Also with SignalK in the OpenPlotter software to convert NMEA2000 to NMEA183 and to OpenCPN. See instruction.

Bram