This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PyPilot on OpenPlotter with dAISy hat
I too have considered wireless extension of the serial line. Because I have experience with the ESP8266 it is my first thought. I have two broadcasting GPS and AIS over wifi to my boats router that seem reliable. I also have two more sending MQTT to a nodered server through the boats router, they are not as reliable. My battery monitor reboots every few hours and I haven't had time to figure out why. The fridge monitor deepsleeps for 15 minutes between readings and seems ok.

LoRa may be less power hungry. I've read some about it but not actually played with it.

A Pi Zero W might be ok if you use something like the tinycore linux to run entirely out of RAM, otherwise you might get variable delays and unpredictable latency.

Reliability is very important in an autopilot, depending on where and how you sail. Latency between the pypilot and the motor controller is also a concern. Especially in adverse conditions.

If pypilot see a GPS, it offers waypoint/track steering called GPS mode, so it says. I haven't got that far myself yet.

Since you are using the RPi headless, did you consider the TinyPilot installed near the motor and control accessed the same, VNC or such?

--
Larry s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch somewhere in Japan
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan

Messages In This Thread
RE: PyPilot on OpenPlotter with dAISy hat - by svkatielee - 2019-06-16, 11:39 PM