This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi 4 released!
Grrrrr. We knew that this was about to happen but no so soon... They anticipated months to the expected hardware release and even have anticipated the official release of Debian Buster.

Do not worry OP v2.0.0 will work on RPI 4. Waiting for a unit on Thursday.
Actually, thanks to our new superscript to build OP images this is not going to be traumatic. Working on it now, hopefully all required packages have been ported to buster, crossing fingers...

Anyway, this is a really good new, opengl by default will make opencpn fly and 2 hdmi monitors is amazing to sail with opencpn and dashboards simultaneously.
(2019-06-24, 02:57 PM)abarrow Wrote:
I just read on a Facebook group that the Moitessier HAT won't work on the RPI4. Is this true?

Really?

We have not tested yet but I do not see a reason for it.
Yeah, I was surprised too. I guess we'll just have to see when someone here gets one and tests it. You aren't using anything other than serial, I2C, and power?
No, we just use SPI and I2C. Nothing changed in GPIO, they have to be sure that all HATs keep working.

Last month we made big changes in the driver to make it work for the latest kernel before RPI4 and I guess we should make it again this time.
I too was surprised by the release of the RPi 4 when all I had read said next year but I am super happy to hear that the new version OP 2.0 will be compatible. As to the MHat I hope they can get that worked out in the end as I have just gotten one (last batch) and have it up and running. I am quite impressed with it and even if I have to have an RPi 3 and an RPi 4 running at once for now that will be ok too.
Ops! bad news. They have moved the ethernet connector and the Moitessier HAT is touching it see picture:

We will redesign the HAT to fit all Raspberry models. To make the current HAT fit the Raspberry 4 you can use a file to reduce 3 millimeters, better if the HAT is not touching the ethernet connector. See picture:

Same for the case. A cutter will do the work easily.

Ahhh gives me a big smile when I get a response that says break out the cutter time for a little modification on your electronics. Hackaday fun it is then. I do not have my new Pi 4 in yet as they sold out of the 4GB ones so quickly but I will soon and look forward to the modifications. So aside from these modifications does the hat function under the new Pi as expected? Are you running the new Debian 10 Buster? How about the new Openplotter 2.0 build ;-}}
Another one on the subject of moving things around: The new USB 3.0 connectors appear to be in the middle, with the USB 2.0 connectors on the outside edge of the board where the RPI3 Ethernet connector was. This won't work, directly, with the SSD adapter I'm using, as it wants to have the PI USB connector right above the similar connector on the adapter mounted below. That's where the new RPI4 Ethernet connector is. So, I guess I'm going to have to create or source a very short USB cable!

It looks like for a while the market for cases is going to be somewhat limited.
Pi Hut has the 4GB again now, you better be quick if you want one...
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b
Regards, 
Arne :-)    
S/Y Tiarora