This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCPN not starting
Greetings,

I have spent several evenings browsing different forums to seek help on the following topic.

I installed OpenPlotter to Raspi 3 using a SD card image after which I updated both OpenPlotter (now 1.2.0 alpha) and OpenCPN (now 5.0). I also did apt-get update and upgrade.

OpenPlotter starts and the window says also OpenCPN starting....Done.

My problem:
OpenCPN should start fullscreen on startup, but it does not. 

opencpn.log
20:01:14 EEST: 2019-07-04
20:01:14 EEST:  ------- Starting OpenCPN -------
20:01:14 EEST: 5.0.0
20:01:18 EEST: wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 3.0.2 Linux 32 bit wxGTK
20:01:18 EEST: OS Version reports as:  4.19
20:01:18 EEST: MemoryStatus:  mem_total: 926 mb,  mem_initial: 0 mb
20:01:18 EEST: SData_Locn is /usr/share/opencpn/
20:01:18 EEST: PrivateDataDir is /home/pi/.opencpn
20:01:18 EEST: Using existing Config_File: /home/pi/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
20:01:18 EEST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 40.3219, 2.5691
20:01:18 EEST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 41.206, 2.4113
20:01:18 EEST: Switch InlandEcdis mode Off
20:01:18 EEST: Styles loading from /usr/share/opencpn/uidata/styles.xml
20:01:18 EEST: No styles found at: /home/pi/
20:01:18 EEST: No styles found at: /home/pi/.opencpn/
20:01:18 EEST: Using SVG Icons
20:01:18 EEST: Detected display size (horizontal): 483 mm
20:01:18 EEST: Getting DefaultSystemLocale...
20:01:18 EEST: System default Language:  en_GB
20:01:18 EEST: Config file language:  en_US
20:01:18 EEST: Adjusted App language:  en_US
20:01:18 EEST: Warning: Cannot set locale to language "English (U.S.)".
20:01:18 EEST: Error: locale 'en_US' cannot be set.
20:01:18 EEST: Opencpn language load for:  en_US
20:01:18 EEST: Loading catalog for opencpn core.
20:01:18 EEST: Getting DefaultSystemLocale...
20:01:18 EEST: Opencpn language set to:  en_US
20:01:18 EEST: Loading Configs catalog: /home/pi/.opencpn/Configs/configs.xml

When I try to start it from terminal ('opencpn') I get the following error messages:
Expression 'alsa_snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near( pcm, hwParams, &alsaPeriodFrames, &dir )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'alsa_snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near( pcm, hwParams, &alsaPeriodFrames, &dir )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281Sadsnd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.bluealsa.device'
ALSA lib conf.c:4528Sad_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4996Sadsnd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495Sadsnd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM bluealsa
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281Sadsnd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.bluealsa.device'
ALSA lib conf.c:4528Sad_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4996Sadsnd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495Sadsnd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM bluealsa
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
20:04:06: Device: 0: bcm2835 ALSA: IEC958/HDMI (hw:0,1)
20:04:06: Warning: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,wx containers,compatible with 2.8),
and your program used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1009,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)...

...and nothing happens. There used to be a few more error messages (alsa related). Trying out several solutions I have been able to get rid of many, but OpenCPN still does not start.

To my undertanding, alsa refers to sound. However sound seems to be working despite of the error messages.

All help greatly appreciated!
Jukka
Start from scratch deleting the folder /home/pi/.opencpn and type opencpn in terminal to start.
If nothing happens uninstall opencpn and install again:
sudo apt autoremove opencpn
sudo apt install opencpn
(2019-07-05, 04:01 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Start from scratch deleting the folder /home/pi/.opencpn and type opencpn in terminal to start.
If nothing happens uninstall opencpn and install again:
sudo apt autoremove opencpn
sudo apt install opencpn

Thanks for the advice. I tried deleting the .opencpn and manually start opencpen. The same error messages appeared as mentioned in my original post.

Then I did autoremove opencpn - no problems. When I tried 'sudo apt install opencpn' I got the following:

pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo apt install opencpn
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 opencpn : Depends: opencpn-tcdata but it is not installable
           Recommends: xcalib but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: opencpn-doc but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: opencpn-gshhs-intermediate but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: opencpn-gshhs-high but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: opencpn-gshhs-full but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
pi@openplotter:~ $ 

Any suggestions?
Are you sure you are running openplotter 1.2.0?

could you run "sudo apt update" and copy here what the terminal says?
(2019-07-05, 05:29 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Are you sure you are running openplotter 1.2.0?

could you run "sudo apt update" and copy here what the terminal says?

Thanks for your quick reply!
Whem I start OpenPlotter -> Help -> about, it says OpenPlotter 1.2.0 alpha.

pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo apt update
Hit:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch InRelease    
Hit:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net/opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:3 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch InRelease [25.4 kB]
Hit:4 https://deb.nodesource.com/node_8.x stretch InRelease    
Fetched 25.4 kB in 2s (10.3 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.