This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(SOLVED) Rpi3B+ with separate WiFi dongle
i am currently flashing a second SD card to see if a fresh install fixes the issue, but while i wait for that, here is what i want to do.

Wlan0 (Rpi3+ built-in): AP for MQTT/Signal K devices, and such.
Wlan1 (dongle): use for home WiFi debug, and to provide internet.

my system was previously working, without the dongle, but i either had to have AP or local network connection. not both. so i bought the dongle, plugged it into my Rpi, booted as i have always done, and even though it shows up on the local WiFi lan, i can't connect to it via VNC, nor can the Rpi ping my local server, yet it has an internet connection (strange). i have tried so many different Lan configurations on the OpenPlotter utility, that i have forgotten what worked (hence flashing a second SD card), though i am saving the original, just in case.

i am using Openplotter 1.0.0 image (never got the update to work with just the one interface).

i suspect the WiFi dongle is not compatible with acting as an AP, yet the local WiFi keeps attaching to the Rpi on-board WiFi. the dongle is a RTL8188CU chipset. but otherwise generic.

thoughts? recommendations?

~Travis

(SOLVED 07-13-2019 05:11EST)
i managed to get the update to complete, so i am now running 1.2.0 (i think), and it all seems to be working correctly. Big Grin
1973 Cruisers, Inc. Marlin 23
OMC outdrive, GM 5.7L V8