This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only compass mode on tiny pilot
I have just installed tinypilot, connected to Openplotter via Wi-Fi (can ping the tiny ) but the lcd display shows n/a when starting and trying connection.
No gps or wind options are available, only compass. Any hint?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
(2019-07-20, 07:31 AM)webber63 Wrote: I have just installed tinypilot, connected to Openplotter via Wi-Fi (can ping the tiny ) but the lcd display shows n/a when starting and trying connection.

You might need to set up the IP address and port number of the tinypilot as a TCP NMEA connection in the openplotter settings so it knows where to send the stream of wind data. Just connecting by wifi won't connect the nmea data stream.

I think by default tinypilot listens of port 20220 for incoming TCP connections with NMEA instrument data. It doesn't seem to make outward connections so you'll need to find out the IP address of the tinypilot and initiate a connection to it on port 20220 using openplotter. I have not used openplotter and I'm very new to tinypilot so can't help with the details but hopefully that points you in the right direction.

Best wishes,
Chris
If it says N/A on the lcd, then the compass is not even working. Make sure you have inertial sensors on i2c. It's normal to see n/a for a second or so at startup.

To get gps or wind, you need to either plug one of these into usb of the raspberry running tinypilot, or send them over wifi. The easiest way is with a connection from opencpn (which gets wind/gps somehow) to tcp port 20220. Make sure to check "output on this port"
(2019-07-22, 03:37 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: If it says N/A on the lcd, then the compass is not even working.   Make sure you have inertial sensors on i2c.  It's normal to see n/a for a second or so at startup.

To get gps or wind, you need to either plug one of these into usb of the raspberry running tinypilot, or send them over wifi.   The easiest way is with a connection from opencpn (which gets wind/gps somehow) to tcp port 20220.   Make sure to check "output on this port"

Sean, Tinypilot is running on Tinypilot Computer I bought from You just two weeks ago, thus I hope sensore etc are on board. 

Compass mode is working great. 
The connection is made via wifi: I changed wifi mode on tinypilot to Client mode and connected to openplotter. I can ping each host from each other and connect via ssh to both.
I tried to create a network connection on Openplotter host setting the TCP connection in out mode to send data on tiny computer (tried with IP and with hostname of tinypilot, BOX) but no result.
If I try to read data on port 20220 of tinypilot I can see only sensors data, no GPS nor Wind.
Same thing on port 20220 of openplotter, may be something is misconfigured in openplotter?
Is there some sort of tutorial or any kind of documentation about this issue?
Thanks

(2019-07-21, 11:17 PM)syohana Wrote:
(2019-07-20, 07:31 AM)webber63 Wrote: I have just installed tinypilot, connected to Openplotter via Wi-Fi (can ping the tiny ) but the lcd display shows n/a when starting and trying connection.

You might need to set up the IP address and port number of the tinypilot as a TCP NMEA connection in the openplotter settings so it knows where to send the stream of wind data. Just connecting by wifi won't connect the nmea data stream.

I think by default tinypilot listens of port 20220 for incoming TCP connections with NMEA instrument data. It doesn't seem to make outward connections so you'll need to find out the IP address of the tinypilot and initiate a connection to it on port 20220 using openplotter. I have not used openplotter and I'm very new to tinypilot so can't help with the details but hopefully that points you in the right direction.

Best wishes,
Chris

Thank You  Chris
I guess the way You are indicating is correct but something is still missing.
Just replied to Sean and waiting from some hint.
Thanks again,
Francesco
Quote:Compass mode is working great. 
The connection is made via wifi: I changed wifi mode on tinypilot to Client mode and connected to openplotter. I can ping each host from each other and connect via ssh to both.
I tried to create a network connection on Openplotter host setting the TCP connection in out mode to send data on tiny computer (tried with IP and with hostname of tinypilot, BOX) but no result.
If I try to read data on port 20220 of tinypilot I can see only sensors data, no GPS nor Wind.

tinypilot uses gpsd for gps. So you can connect to port 2947 for gpsd (special connection type "gpsd" in opencpn)

Wind should be available on port 20220 if you connect wind to usb of the tinypilot. If you send wind to the tinypilot on port 20220, then it will not send wind over tcp.

Quote:No gps or wind options are available, only compass. Any hint?

This means that pypilot is not getting gps or wind. You need to either supply these via usb or tcp port 20220.

How do you have wind and gps data?
(2019-07-22, 11:40 PM)seandepagnier Wrote:
Quote:Compass mode is working great. 

tinypilot uses gpsd for gps.  So you can connect to port 2947 for gpsd (special connection type "gpsd" in opencpn)

Wind should be available on port 20220 if you connect wind to usb of the tinypilot.   If you send wind to the tinypilot on port 20220, then it will not send wind over tcp.

Quote:No gps or wind options are available, only compass. Any hint?

This means that pypilot is not  getting gps or wind.    You need to either  supply these via usb or tcp port  20220.

How do you have wind and gps data?
The setup is:
-openplotter on raspberry pi with moitessier hat
-tinypilot on tinypilot computer (your production)

I get  (wind and depth) from boat intruments via a Seatalk1-nmea usb converter from DigitalYacht phisically connected to openplotter’s raspberry.
I have set its serial port in opencpn as kplex and can see nmea sentences in diagnostic and  corresponding data in Opencpn Dashboard.

I get gps data on openplotter via Moitessier Hat
In that case, I suggest:

1) connect openplotter to tinypilot using wifi.
2) add connection in opencpn to tinypilot (192.168.14.1 if tinypilot is AP) tcp port 20220, and be sure to input and output on this port
3) You should see C G W T on tinypilot screen instead of only C, and wind, gps (and true wind) modes should be possible.

Ensure the relevent gps and wind sentences are being sent from opencpn to tinypilot using the nmea debugger window of opencpn.
(2019-07-23, 04:45 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: In that case, I suggest:

2) add connection in opencpn to tinypilot (192.168.14.1 if tinypilot is AP)  tcp port 20220, and be sure to input and output on this port
3)  You should see C G W T on tinypilot screen instead of only C, and wind, gps (and true wind) modes should be possible.

Ensure the relevent gps and wind sentences are being sent from opencpn to tinypilot using the nmea debugger window of opencpn.

Well, I had tried this configuration last saturday but did not work.
I tried it now, it works.
The problem was due to the Garmin plotter connected in/out via rs232 on kplex.
May be it overcharged tinypilot with tons of redundant data. Now I have set a filter on output of the plotter accepting only APB data. Now everything works.
Thank You very much for your help
(2019-07-23, 11:47 PM)webber63 Wrote:

2) add connection in opencpn to tinypilot (192.168.14.1 if tinypilot is AP)  tcp port 20220, and be sure to input and output on this port
3)  You should see C G W T on tinypilot screen instead of only C, and wind, gps (and true wind) modes should be possible.

May be it overcharged tinypilot with tons of redundant data. Now I have set a filter on output of the plotter accepting only APB data. Now everything works.

For me it still doesn't work I can get IIMWV to tinypilot an get Windmode, sometimes I can get GPRMC and get GPS Mode, but as soon as send them both, or even together with GPAPB (as i want to) there is only Compasmode. 

In the diagnostic i can see the right info is beeing send to tinypilot but the output from tinypilot gives a timeout (where normaly there should be Roll and pitch info when it is just receiving wind and giving wind mode). 

I have tried it with the latest image 28062019,tried both connecting to AP tinypilot and connecting tinypilot to openplotter with exactly the same result. 

OpenCPN pypilot plugin should also be able to send NMEA to the Tiny pilot but doesn't work (offcourse i have connection there), setting GPSD in opencpn doesn't work as it can only be used as input (output is greyed out as soon as i select gpsd). 
I also tried to setup a connection to tinypilot ont the gpsd port from openplotter with just GPRMC and GPAPB but it doesn't do anything with the GPSdata. 
It does to me seem like it is overflowing with data or can't handle different NMEA sentences. Hope someone can look into this cause i don't have ideas anymore.

greetings Rob
(2019-07-31, 10:16 PM)rmvdmrl Wrote:
(2019-07-23, 11:47 PM)webber63 Wrote:

For me it still doesn't work I can get IIMWV to tinypilot an get Windmode, sometimes I can get GPRMC and get GPS Mode, but as soon as send them both, or even together with GPAPB (as i want to) there is only Compasmode. 

In the diagnostic i can see the right info is beeing send to tinypilot but the output from tinypilot gives a timeout (where normaly there should be Roll and pitch info when it is just receiving wind and giving wind mode). 

I have tried it with the latest image 28062019,tried both connecting to AP tinypilot and connecting tinypilot to openplotter with exactly the same result. 

OpenCPN pypilot plugin should also be able to send NMEA to the Tiny pilot but doesn't work (offcourse i have connection there), setting GPSD in opencpn doesn't work as it can only be used as input (output is greyed out as soon as i select gpsd). 
I also tried to setup a connection to tinypilot ont the gpsd port from openplotter with just GPRMC and GPAPB but it doesn't do anything with the GPSdata. 
It does to me seem like it is overflowing with data or can't handle different NMEA sentences. Hope someone can look into this cause i don't have ideas anymore.

greetings Rob

Hi Rob,
I didn't solve: the behaviour of my system is exactly the same you are describing.
I spent last two nights trying hundreds of setups but no actual solution.

Sometimes it works for a while but then it stops communicating and needs rebooting (sometimes more than once) of Openplotter and Tinypilot

I think that would be useful to check some log on opENenplotter and tinypilot but don't know where to look:
Is there anybody that can give some information about where to find logfiles? I looked into /var/log of Openplotter but nothing seems to happen after initial messages.

thanks, Francesco