This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only compass mode on tiny pilot
I have seen a similar problem. I connected nmea data via an rs422 to usb converter and OTG usb cable. When the tinypilot first starts up it shows wind mode available and produces an nmea output stream over wi-fi which will display in opencpn. After a while for unknown reason the WiFi stream can go dead. Reloading opencpn or reconnecting WiFi doesn't help. Restarting the tinypilot will resume the WiFi feed at  or least for a while.

Second issue is I never get any output on the usb serial adapter although it does receive the input..

I tried SSH in, stop pypilot and connect to the ttyUSB0 device in with the "screen" command and I was able to both send and receive so there's no problem with the hardware or connections, pypilot is not sending nmea data on USB.

I have not had time to apply the latest updates yet, my pypilot install is a couple of months old.
Well the best result i ever got was setting the connection from signal k server. With the previous image. I did get about 3 times (after long trying and rebooting) all modes on the display. Switching modes didn't work it switched right back to compass mode and signal k server inactivates the connection and you have to reactivate manually and get sometimes more modes on your display. I hope Sean can look in to this.greetings Rob
(2019-08-01, 09:32 AM)syohana Wrote: I have seen a similar problem. I connected nmea data via an rs422 to usb converter and OTG usb cable. When the tinypilot first starts up it shows wind mode available and produces an nmea output stream over wi-fi which will display in opencpn. After a while for unknown reason the WiFi stream can go dead. Reloading opencpn or reconnecting WiFi doesn't help. Restarting the tinypilot will resume the WiFi feed at  or least for a while.

After the wifi stream goes dead, is wind mode still available? Can you get the pypilot log file?

Quote:Second issue is I never get any output on the usb serial adapter although it does receive the input..
This is not really a bug because I never intended to output on serial. If it did, then, any received tcp nmea messages would get sent, and it could be a lot of serial traffic.

This could all change in the future but it would require supporting some kind of routing table or at least allow/block nmea sentences per serial port. I am open to discussing how to do this or if it's worth complicating the autopilot.

Otherwise, maybe you should consider connecting the nmea data to a different computer, or using kplex or something, and sending the data to pypilot over tcp.
Quote:I tried SSH in, stop pypilot and connect to the ttyUSB0 device in with the "screen" command and I was able to both send and receive so there's no problem with the hardware or connections, pypilot is not sending nmea data on USB.

I have not had time to apply the latest updates yet, my pypilot install is a couple of months old.

It is best to update to the latest tinypilot image.
Ok i think i got a bit further. I can get all the modes as long as i do not put in GPAPB then i can select the wind, truewind, gps and compass, . I can also get GPAPB to TP as long as there is a waypoint selected and am navigating to it. I then can select the different modes but it switches back to compass after 1 second. When there is no active waypoint the output from TP stops and i get only compass mode. As soon as i stop the navigation to the waypoint on my chartplotter the output from TP also stops and i get only compass mode. I hope Sean can have a look at this. I think the problem is in mnea.py at line 481 where mode is set as compass if the heading to steer is a magnetic heading. And in line485 and 486 as when there is no active waypoints these fields are empty. But that is just my opinion I hope Sean can make some adjustments and this solves the problem. Also hope to get a reaction from Sean, Greetings Rob