This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudder calibration not working
Thanks Sean, seems like this must be what is happening.

It seems very strange that the tinypilot would ever READ settings from the motor controller and then write those settings to pypilot.conf. Surely it should only ever read the settings from pypilot.conf and write them to the motor controller? Maybe copying all settings from pypilot.conf to the motor controller eeprom should be part of the boot process so we can be sure everything is in sync?

After editing pypilot.conf, it seems that the changes were not being sent to the motor controller. Is there a way to force the tinypilot to write the changes to the motor controller from the current pypilot.conf, without reading any settings from the motor controller? A command I can enter after saving the conf file?

I will try to update the image when I can but I guess that means removing the pilot, taking it apart, removing the sd card, flashing the new image onto the SD card, re-doing all the edits to all the files I've changed and then putting it all back together. It's also rather big to download on my mobile data. It's very unlikely I'll have time for that before we have to sail so for the moment, I really need to just be able to save the new settings successfully down to the motor controller, ensuring all old settings are overwritten.

What I could do is pull the latest changes from git and copy just the modified files over to the pypilot using sftp over wifi. Is it possible to update it like that or is it really necessary to replace the whole sd card image?

Thanks!
Chris

PS. It seems very rare that the motor controller would be changed for one with different settings (except while you are building motor controllers!) but perhaps the motor controller could have a unique ID on it and the pypilot then only ever reads settings from the motor controller if it detects during boot up that the unique ID has changed since the last boot up? If the unique ID is unset then pypilot would set one using a random value, but not read the settings? It might be an interesting question how we get a random value seed considering the pypilots all start up with the clock set to the exact same time!

Messages In This Thread
Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-07-20, 10:16 PM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-07-21, 11:04 PM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-07-22, 08:50 PM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-07-22, 10:15 PM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-07-23, 12:16 AM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-07-24, 08:23 PM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-07-24, 10:12 PM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-07-29, 11:27 PM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-08-01, 12:12 AM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-08-10, 10:44 AM
RE: Rudder calibration not working - by syohana - 2019-08-10, 11:11 PM