This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OP 1.2 alpha stability issues
Hi All
I am having stability issues, 
1. VNC constantly disconnects from my RPi3b+, and then I am unable to reconnect until several tries and then sometimes a reboot. I thought maybe it was VNC so I installed teamviewer (a much better remote desktop IMHO btw) but same thing, is there a solution for this

2. signalK data stops streaming... often at the same time the RPI loses the remote connection but not exclusively. 

3. once I lose remote connection and signal K data now py.pilot is no longer working so I need to restart that as well... which requires me to have remote access to the RPi.... you see the dilemma here? Gets quite crazy managing all this while steering the boat... 

Is  anyone else experiencing connectivity issues similar to this and are there any words of advice on how to eliminate this from happening, it has basically rendered my setup unusable atm... I need to be able to trust that it will perform...

I have a Rpi3b+ running OP 1.2 Alpha with a brand new Moiteisser Hat and the latest kernel build,  up to date py.pilot, I use teamviewer instead of VNC as it has shown improved connection but still not reliable
I use opencpn on a windows tablet or laptop, with the py.pilot plugin.

Sometimes once I do finally connect to OP the screen is black or frozen. 
I do have heatsyncs on the rpi but maybe it is still getting too hot? 
it happens most often in rough waters, typically going into the wind when the boat is heaving more extremely, but it also happens in my living-room testing with no movement all all but less frequently. I would say it happens roughly every 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
Oh and this is not a sail boat, I am using this on my 19' aluminum fishing boat to keep control of the boat while trolling.
Many of the instability issues that I have encountered were due to an imperfect power distribution. The low voltage indicator on the RPi would come on a few times every minute, and that was enough to cause various problems. I also noticed the RPi wanted to receive about 5.1 volts to be happy, so on the high side of its input voltage range.

My system is much more stable now that I made power wiring short, use thicker wiring, and use an externally powered USB hub to off-load the on-board USB plugs. It’s powered through a power bank with 2.1 Amp output.
(2019-07-28, 04:18 PM)beercansailor Wrote: Many of the instability issues that I have encountered were due to an imperfect power distribution. The low voltage indicator on the RPi would come on a few times every minute, and that was enough to cause various problems. I also noticed the RPi wanted to receive about 5.1 volts to be happy, so on the high side of its input voltage range.

My system is much more stable now that I made power wiring short, use thicker wiring, and use an externally powered USB hub to off-load the on-board USB plugs. It’s powered through a power bank with 2.1 Amp output.

Hi Thanks
My power supply actually performs quite good, I use the same one for all my Rpi projects that are powered from 12V. 
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06ZXX1...UTF8&psc=1

I have never seen a low voltage indicator while using this supply. I wonder what those in the know think of this solution?

My problem seems to be more related AP stability, and signal K data stream... and for some reason even on a fresh boot I need to restart pypilot otherwise it fails to see my motor controller. 
Interestingly, yesterday I went out in relatively calm water and I did not experience one loss of connection or loss of signal k data stream... I am beginning to think that the rougher water is somehow a contributing factor... although it seems silly that this would have any effect considering OP and the moitessier hat were designed to be used on boats....