This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tinypilot networking
Making some progress.

I can connect to tinypilot from opencpn on linux notebook using the pypilot plugin.
In opencpn created a tcp connection to 192..18.14.1 port 20220 send and receive.

Opencpn can see compass pitch and heel.
tinypilot can see gps as it's on the mode list.

This is a good start to evaluate but need to make some changes to make a satisfactorily solution for me

I have a miniplex 3  MiniPlex-3Wi-N2K.
http://www.shipmodul.com/en/miniplex-3.html
It ties together all my mostly old instruments.
Really works great.
I want to connect tinypilot to it.
In hindsight wish I would have bought  ethernet version and plugged into a real wifi router.

The miniplex is unable to originate a nmea network connection.
So will need tinypilot connect to it.
Reading through the signalk documentation looks like it can make a tcp nmea connection to another device but have not made any progress figuring it out. I see a signalk.conf in tinypilot but see just one line.

Can I configure the signalk in tinypilot to make a tcp or udp nmea connection somehow.
Ultimately I'm willing to spend a lot of time working out the details.

Assuming that can be dealt with will need to have one or both of devices to be client to an  access point. Realistically neither are up to  being the access point.
I can't see my autopilot as my primary access point and the miniplex has no way to
to map mac addresses to fixed ip addresses. I'm  capable of finding devices on a network it should not be part routine part of boating
So at this point I'm leaning towards another access point and probably a backup.

Actually my issues with wifi go beyond that but has nothing to do with pypilot :-(

John
The latest version of the tinypilot image allows you to switch TinyPilot to client mode. This would still give you a random ip address if your dhcp service cannot map mac to ip, but a way to achieve a fixed client ip address was discussed in this thread http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.p...816&page=2. It still requires a bit of linux hand work; if you have further questions I'm happy to help you.

On the nmea connection detail I can't help you. Why do you want to do this - to share the compass heading?
(2019-07-30, 09:18 PM)johnm Wrote: Making some progress.

I can connect to tinypilot from opencpn on linux notebook using the pypilot plugin.
In opencpn created a tcp connection to 192..18.14.1 port 20220 send and receive.

Opencpn can see compass pitch and heel.
tinypilot can see gps as it's on the mode list.

This is a good start to evaluate but need to make some changes to make a satisfactorily solution for me

I have a miniplex 3  MiniPlex-3Wi-N2K.f
http://www.shipmodul.com/en/miniplex-3.html
It ties together all my mostly old instruments.
Really works great.
I want to connect tinypilot to it.
In hindsight wish I would have bought  ethernet version and plugged into a real wifi router.

The miniplex is unable to originate a nmea network connection.
So will need tinypilot connect to it.
Reading through the signalk documentation looks like it can make a tcp nmea connection to another device but have not made any progress figuring it out. I see a signalk.conf in tinypilot but see just one line.

Can I configure the signalk in tinypilot to make a tcp or udp nmea connection somehow.
Ultimately I'm willing to spend a lot of time working out the details.

Not right now. It is a server only.

You could write a simple client which connects to both miniplex and tinypilot and relays tcp nmea messages. You can also use opencpn to do this.

Quote:Assuming that can be dealt with will need to have one or both of devices to be client to an  access point. Realistically neither are up to  being the access point.
I can't see my autopilot as my primary access point and the miniplex has no way to
to map mac addresses to fixed ip addresses. I'm  capable of finding devices on a network it should not be part routine part of boating
So at this point I'm leaning towards another access point and probably a backup.
If you want to avoid the problem of the AP going down and breaking the whole network, you could use an ad-hoc network instead.

I'm going to add support for fixed ip client for the next version of tinypilot