This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get IMU data in correct format in OpenCPN?
I have connected a IMU + Pressure sensor to my RPI, it is working fine but...

The data is outputted as for instance "$OSXDR,A,33.3,D,I2CX,A,-2.7,D,I2CY*48"

According to this page "I2CX" should be "Barometer", "TempAir", "PTCH", "ROLL" or "ENV_WATER_T"
"$OSXDR,A,33.3,D,I2CX,A,-2.7,D,I2CY*48"

As of now the data is not recognised by OpenCpn. How have others dealed with this issue?
Turns out this is an OpenCPN issue, not OpenPlotter.
OpenCPN can still not handle XDR messages
(2016-08-30, 07:40 PM)Ewald Harmsen Wrote: I have connected a IMU + Pressure sensor to my RPI, it is working fine but...

The data is outputted as for instance "$OSXDR,A,33.3,D,I2CX,A,-2.7,D,I2CY*48"

According to this page "I2CX" should be "Barometer", "TempAir", "PTCH", "ROLL" or "ENV_WATER_T"
"$OSXDR,A,33.3,D,I2CX,A,-2.7,D,I2CY*48"

As of now the data is not recognised by OpenCpn. How have others dealed with this issue?

I had tried to use NMEA_Converter for this but failed.

I was able to edit I2C.py to get pitch and roll to work.

If you search I2C.PY for  I2CX and I2CY and replace them with PTCH and ROLL it should work. While you are in the the python would be pretty simple to scale or calibrate these items.

that file is in /home/pi/.config/openplotter

I didn't get barometer or temperature to work this way.
I tried to replace on i2c.py 'I2CP' and 'I2CT' with 'Barometer' and 'AirTemp', but it didn't works, so maybe opencpn not recognize XDR sentences!