This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rf remote
I know your thinking of doing remote with rf key fobs but not sure exactly what you have in mind.

I would prefer can be used remotely without being able  to see the display.
For example be on the bow and need to dodge a log.
I'm only talking about what the buttons do.

Operationally like this:
https://www.madmanmarine.com/product-pag...te-control

Manual:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/376162_8f...c0d250.pdf

Relevant bits from manual:

2.4.3 Button Assignments
The fob buttons are assigned the following functions:

Button A
 change 1 degree to port / select Auto
Button B
 change 1 degree to starboard / select Standby
Button C
 change 10 degrees to port
Button D
 change 10 degrees to starboard
Buttons A & C (together) auto-tack to port
Buttons B & D (together) auto-tack to starboard
Buttons A & B (together) select Wind Vane mode
Buttons C & D (together) select Track mode

The buttons are assigned the following mode change functions:
Long Press Button A
 select 'Auto’ mode
Long Press Button B
 select ‘Standby’ mode (if enabled)
*Buttons A & B
 select ‘Wind Vane’ mode#
*Buttons C & D
 select ‘Track’ mode
* Must be in ‘Auto’ mode first.

John
I have also wished for a dodge mode with previous autopilots. I haven't enough experience with the tinypilot to know whether I wish for it still or not.

The function could possibly be:
as long as the port button is pressed the pilot wold steer to max port as quickly as possible. When released it would return to previous course and maybe mode. Same for starboard button. It could be separate dodge buttons, but needs to be simple to execute.
--
Larry - s/v Katie Lee Passport 45 Ketch (For Sale) - somewhere in Taiwan
I'm not sure about pressing buttons together. I am implementing rf receiver eventually so I will play with it. The raspberry turns out having difficulty decoding these in software, a lot of cpu used and not all packets are decoded. Unless maybe a kernel module could help this.

For now I found an arduino is better to offload this task. This means it would be relatively easy to also make custom remotes with more than 4 buttons, so dodge buttons are possible, and sending different messages for releasing the buttons to make holding them down work better.
(2019-08-08, 08:00 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I'm not sure about pressing buttons together.   I am implementing rf receiver eventually so  I will  play with it.   The raspberry turns out having difficulty decoding  these in software, a lot of cpu used  and  not all packets are decoded.  Unless maybe a kernel module could help this.

For now I found an arduino is better to offload this  task.   This means it would be relatively  easy to also make custom remotes with more  than 4  buttons, so dodge buttons are possible, and sending different messages for releasing  the buttons to make  holding  them down work better.

Hi
New to Pypilot, I got my hydraulic controller and Tinycomputer from Sean last weekend.
Not ready with installation but reading on the forum to learn.
I have seen Sean recommending running tinypilot on an computer to control some settings.
Wouldn’t it be possible to use a portable pi zero w with Nokia screen and buttons as a remote? I wouldn’t feel good using a remote without screen were I can see if my push on the button takes effect.

Regards
Johan
Yes, it's possible. You would only need to tweak the boot script to make any number of additional tinypilot computer act as a control interface via wifi.

Basically you need to configure the wifi first as a client, then in the boot script, don't bother to start pypilot, and change the startup script for pypilot_lcd to pass the ip address of the autopilot rather than localhost, or edit ~/.pypilot/signalk.conf and put this in.
(2019-08-08, 08:00 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I'm not sure about pressing buttons together.   I am implementing rf receiver eventually so  I will  play with it.   The raspberry turns out having difficulty decoding  these in software, a lot of cpu used  and  not all packets are decoded.  Unless maybe a kernel module could help this.

For now I found an arduino is better to offload this  task.   This means it would be relatively  easy to also make custom remotes with more  than 4  buttons, so dodge buttons are possible, and sending different messages for releasing  the buttons to make  holding  them down work better.

Sean
I used to do embedded software a long time ago.
New hardware is much more powerful but with an os to deal with make some options more complicated.
I used to write my own scheduler and interrupt handling as there was no os.
If there was an os it was msdos that is worthless so just took over everything.

I have a few ideas on how to attack it.
Not sure what they have in python.

Hopefully they have ques and semaphores or some sort of multi threading tools in python.

Maybe this will work:
If possible arrange inputs so they are in one byte.
Run an independent process that does the following:

Read inputs.
If necessary pack into one byte and mask unneeded bits.
Store in a que
sleep  I'd do .05 seconds as first try ( as long as sleep period is reasonably consistent it should work OK)
Back to beginning

Then in main program read from the que.

Make a simple table with the 16 possibilities.
................. editing a bit
The main loop part is too simplistic :-(
Best to activate a command when all keys return released state.
A 2 key command will likely have the keys pressed and released in arbitrary order.
What matters is seeing 2 keys pressed and activate when all go off.
If an undefined combination of keys are pressed I would just consider it an error state until all keys are released. That will give you a way to abort a command by just pressing another key before releasing.
Will need to keep track of state a little but nothing that complicated.
Can check how long a key is down by how counting how many times it was in the que.

If you need to debounce need to compare old to new and wait until old=new.

Hopefully that makes sense.
I've never had the best language skills :-(
This has been done by my trainee last year https://github.com/PepeMax/Raymaxime-display

Simple put it on m5stack, allow to remote control pypilot and get all usefull variables.
Certainly not the best code (he learn coding with this) but seem on first tests to be working. My pilot has not been installed on the boat so i'm not sure of the limitations.
I looked at the GitHub for this. It doesn't appear to be finished, but it looks good so far.

What I don't understand from looking at the project is how the data gets into the SeaTalk bus. That usually requires 9-bit data and some coding to accommodate the the requirements of SeaTalk. How is he handling that?
It doesn't talk in seatalk, it only communicate to the raspberry pi via signal-K and openplotter handle any conversion.
I'd be interested in an RF remote as well. Wondering if anyone has looked at something like this? I use one day-in, day-out for an OSMC installation on a Pi, so I know the drivers are available. Haven't seen any CPU usage issues as reported for fobs.

Would be interested to know if anyone has had success with RF.