This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin plotter crashes nmea communication
If you can submit a new pull request to fix that would be great, or I will find it eventually.

Sorry for changing the code so much, but this way is better. The old way could only receive APB route message via tcp socket nmea0183. Now it can receive from serial port, tcp nmea, and signalk nmea. If opencpn could output this someday it could also provide more information like trajectory than APB so this would enhance route following even more.

The RF remote typically has buttons like:

A B
C D

I have so far:
A = -1
B = +1
C = -10
D = +10
AB = engage autopilot
CD = disengage
AC = tack to port
BD = tack to starboard
AD = compass mode
BC = wind mode

Possible also to use 3 or even all 4 keys at once to do something but it's difficult to press.

It also would be possible to press chords like
A hold (1sec) B, release B, C, release C and A
This gives many combinations for more functions but not sure all are needed, but if tacking and jibing are needed as well as switching modes or changing gains it could be useful.

The buttons unfortunately cannot really be used to toggle a state, like autopilot engaged because there is no feedback in case it does not work or way to detect repeats. This is also true for changing the mode which is why I have different combinations to engage and disengage

Another option is a custom remote which uses 2 way communication on rf433 and provides a small lcd display as well as all 7 normal keys, but it's a bigger project.
Hi Sean,

Made a new Pull Request. Funcionality of the RF seems great that would be a great addition if 3 key presses are also possible i would like to see gps mode on 1 of them but that is the only one I can think off. It is a pity toggle states are not possible but I can see why. Off course costum remote would also be great but perhaps as a future project if you are getting bored. Thanks for all your work sofar I'm sure you must have spend lots and lots off time on this.

Greetings Rob
toggle states could work if the remote has 2 way communication and a screen or leds.

Anyway, you could change it to compass/gps, compass/wind etc, or even allow 3 keys to switch to wind mode, but it's dangerous because you might accidentally tack .

The other option is to use key-chords A, AB, A, or A, AB, B could have different meanings.