This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three questions about gains
I'm in the gain tuning phase now, and I'm venturing into the uncertain realms beyond the easy-to-understand P and D gains.

First thing I have noticed that I cannot get ap.pilot.basic.Igain up. As a test, I've left a heading error build up for more than an hour now, but ap.heading_error_int stays zero and the 'bar' in the plugin gains screen does not go up. I'd expected it to be blue by now (see attached image). I checked the code and can't figure it out. What am I thinking wrong?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=540]

Second question is regarding ap.pilot.basic.R and ap.pilot.basic.Rtime. What are they and how can they be used?

Third question is about ap.pilot.basic.FF. Is this only useful with the autoroute plugin or NMEA APB (gps mode) heading changes, or does it also bump up reactiveness to manual (compass mode) heading changes?

Thx!

Attached Files Image(s)

Come to think of it, I would expect PRgain also to have a certain value, not zero.

Line 99 of basic.py in github says PR = math.sqrt(abs(gain_values['D'])); surely that must be 'P' instead of 'D', right?
1) I will look into
2) This is related to the reactive gain which is not very well tested/proven at this stage. If you set it to zero it should not have an effect.
3) The FF gain is the feed forward gain which steers when the heading command changes. This has effect when manually changing course while engaged, as well as autopilot route following.
4) I think you might have found a problem. Not sure how I overlooked this, but the PR gain did not work as intended as you say. I have changed it to use the position root rather than rate root.