This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrading pypilot
Dear all, is there some kind soul to help a raspberry etc. illiterate?? I wanted to upgrade my pypilot to the latest image as of Sept. 30. 2019 and read in the upgrade recommendations to backup the pypilot.conf file to save the established settings (and later restore to the new image).

Now my simple question is: HOW???

I believe, this file is in the pypilot image, but I do not have any way to access that. I tried to use "PuTTY", but the thing then wants me to login - I do not know any userid or password - etc. ...

So, can anybody provide me with some info as to how to get there??

The second question is: What size of SD Card should I use for the new image? Does it matter, if I write this to a e.g. 4GB  card, or even 8GB card? can the basic version of Raspberry deal with that? Or is it better to get hold of a 1GB card (rarely available now).

Any help would be mopst appreciated.

Many thanks, and best regards,

Uwe
I can try and help but first which pypilot are your attempting to update?
Pypilot re:openplotter or Pypilot via Tiny Pilot... I suspect the later as you mention an image?
which board rpi 3,4,zero,? sys. openplotter ver 1.x/2.x ,tinypilot ?
use a large enough card to hold your charts too, 16g should do.
(2019-10-07, 03:06 PM)rastam4n Wrote: I can try and help but first which pypilot are your attempting to update?
Pypilot re:openplotter or Pypilot via Tiny Pilot... I suspect the later as you mention an image?
hi there and thanks for the fast reply, yes, it ist Tiny Pilot, ok??

Regards, Uwe

(2019-10-07, 03:14 PM)jim321 Wrote: which board rpi 3,4,zero,?  sys. openplotter ver 1.x/2.x ,tinypilot ?
hi Jim, I think it is rpi zero - and I am using tiny pilot, ok??

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Uwe
(2019-10-07, 05:52 PM)hur450502 Wrote:
(2019-10-07, 03:06 PM)rastam4n Wrote: I can try and help but first which pypilot are your attempting to update?

Regards, Uwe

(2019-10-07, 03:14 PM)jim321 Wrote: which board rpi 3,4,zero,?  sys. openplotter ver 1.x/2.x ,tinypilot ?

Uwe

Okay so the ssh password for the Tiny Pilot should be 

#TinyPilot
#SSH user name and pass
user: tc
pw: pypilot

Once you are there the conf file is in .pypilot/ dir
type
cd .pypilot/

regarding size? I would just open the TinyPilot up and use the same size that came with it. There is no need for extra space for maps etc on the Tiny Pilot.

And while you have the old TP SD card out of the Pi0 I would also make an image of it... just in case.

You can use Win32diskimager found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

To write the new image to a new  Sd card you can use Etcher found here https://www.balena.io/etcher/

I would not overwrite your existing sd card until you are certain the new one is working well. 

Once I have a working good copy I make a image of it again just to have, I also carry an sd card with a good image on it just in case the one in the TP goes bad... it has not happened to me with the TP yet but it has happened a few times using openplotter, better to be safe the sorry
(2019-10-07, 07:37 PM)rastam4n Wrote:
(2019-10-07, 05:52 PM)hur450502 Wrote:

Regards, Uwe

Uwe

Okay so the ssh password for the Tiny Pilot should be 

#TinyPilot
#SSH user name and pass
user: tc
pw: pypilot

Once you are there the conf file is in .pypilot/ dir
type
cd .pypilot/

regarding size? I would just open the TinyPilot up and use the same size that came with it. There is no need for extra space for maps etc on the Tiny Pilot.

And while you have the old TP SD card out of the Pi0 I would also make an image of it... just in case.

You can use Win32diskimager found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

To write the new image to a new  Sd card you can use Etcher found here https://www.balena.io/etcher/

I would not overwrite your existing sd card until you are certain the new one is working well. 

Once I have a working good copy I make a image of it again just to have, I also carry an sd card with a good image on it just in case the one in the TP goes bad... it has not happened to me with the TP yet but it has happened a few times using openplotter, better to be safe the sorry

Dear Jim,

thanks a lot, that helps, I successfully logged in I could  see and edit the file, etc. so, this - at least - is a start. Thank you very much. It is midnight now over here and I think, I will call it a day. So, I think I can dig through all of this now and get my pypilot upgraded and tested.... however, I have to say even the "old version" I am using is working great already.... but I have a tendency to be on the "bleeding edge" somehow :-)

Again, thanks a lot for your help - and be sure, I will be back with the next dumb questions ... :-)

Best regards,

Uwe
(2019-10-07, 11:37 PM)hur450502 Wrote: Dear Jim,

thanks a lot, that helps, I successfully logged in I could  see and edit the file, etc. so, this - at least - is a start. Thank you very much. It is midnight now over here and I think, I will call it a day. So, I think I can dig through all of this now and get my pypilot upgraded and tested.... however, I have to say even the "old version" I am using is working great already.... but I have a tendency to be on the "bleeding edge" somehow :-)

Again, thanks a lot for your help - and be sure, I will be back with the next dumb questions ... :-)

Best regards,

Uwe

ummmh  I am Rastam4n.... or Pete   I am not Jim
Hopefully tp image should never "go bad" like openplotter because the only data it writes to disk is .pypilot/pypilot.conf which is a very small file, and if it is corrupted it will also just load the backup of it on the next boot.

I have never had a tinypilot image go bad and not boot, but I would be curious to hear if it happens and what circumstances. It would be possible to use a very small battery to make a ups that would always prevent these issues even with openplotter.
(2019-10-08, 12:00 AM)rastam4n Wrote:
(2019-10-07, 11:37 PM)hur450502 Wrote: Dear Jim,

Best regards,

Uwe

ummmh  I am Rastam4n.... or Pete   I am not Jim
Dear Pete aka Rastam4n .....

so sorry, you see how desperately I am in need for an upgraded Autopilot , I am completely of course .... :-D -

so again, my thanks, I hope to the correct address now :-)

Best regards, Uwe

(2019-10-08, 02:05 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Hopefully tp image should never "go bad" like openplotter because the only data it writes to disk is .pypilot/pypilot.conf which is a very small file, and if it is corrupted it will also just load the backup of it on the next boot.

I have never had a tinypilot image go bad and not boot, but I would be curious to hear if it happens and what circumstances.   It would be possible to use a very small battery to make a ups that would always prevent these issues even with openplotter.

hi Sean, I almost don't dare to write, as I still owe you my experiences with the new motor controller - to make it short, I installed it, switched it on and expected drums, tatooos and applause etc. at least bells and whistles etc.... but, sorry to say, nothing happened - it just worked and did this very reliably and it drives any moter you connect to it. ...

I think, this is, what it iwas designed for.

Now back to your point above - I never had seen a problem with a corrupted image. the only problem I am having is, that, when I use my HF transceiver and pactor, this kicks the autopilot out of synch and all things possibly could happen. However - switch off switch on, and it works again. I never had a problem.

However I wanted to upgrade to a newer version of the autopilot - of course NOT reading the recommendations - and ended up with an uncalibrated autopilot and I had difficulties to get e.g. the compass calibrated, so I switched back to the previous version (I always keep running versions and create a new image when upgrading - not overwriting the "old" functioning version) So, as I saw that there was a new version available, I did the reading, however, I ended up with the above problems. I think this is now clarified for me, thanks to Pete.
Thanks again for a great product it is definitely a reliable "helmsman" and provides for a lot of peace on board. OK??

All the best,

Uwe