This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubleshooting after faulty magnetic course
Hello, everybody.
I have repeated problems with my IMU. After I have calibrated the magnetic course does not match the real course. Some differences are more than 100°.
I am looking for the cause. Is it because of the IMU or has it other reasons.
To possible culprits.
I make mistakes in handling.
The IMU is about 30cm away from the rest of the system and there are no power cables nearby.
I drive in Germany on channels which are bordered with steel walls. (Do you know that or do you need a picture?)
I am using a mpu9255 bought cheaply from China. (Could it be that there are different qualities? Where do you get your parts from?)
Greetings Jürgen

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
You are not alone but in my case it was with the Motessier Hat and so I purchased a TinyPilot and now even TP (which is mounted 6' from the helm) sometimes has an incorrect heading, I have even witnessed it wandering.

and that is not all!

Seems I also have some issues with GPS reporting incorrectly via Motessier Hat!

The other day while trolling on Lake Huron I suddenly found myself on the Pacific Ocean off the coast of South America! The teleportation was very disorienting! Thankfully it eventually sent me back.