This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping my night vision with MQTT and LED's
I'm planning a total rebuild of my electrical system this winter, and as I am planning for some short hand 24h races next season, one of the things on my list is to change all the lighting onboard to LED. I like the flexibility of LED strips, and as I was tinkering around the house I got an (brilliant) idea for the boat. By using RGBWW strips and a Shelly RGBW controller (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8DQntdtD4E) I can control and dim the lights through MQTT and through a dimmer switch as well. But the best part of it is that I can hook up only the R and the WW (Warm White) channel of the strip, and have two fixed, dimmable channels for each strip. As the Shelly controls RGBW - I can connect a strip on R/W and one on G/B and control two sets of strips per Shelly controller. 
This could allow me to build a complete failsafe system, where there is no way I can turn on white light by accident while sailing after dark for instance. 
Comments? Thoughts/ideas? Anyone who have done anything similar? 
Oh and I AM looking for cool ways to create a dashboard where I can have touch screen buttons to send MQTT commands to control the lights. Any pointers?
//Ranur
You will be able to set triggers (from a dashboard, GPIO...) and actions to send MQTT data using the openplotter-actions app. It will take some time to adapt it to the new framework of openplotter 2 but the development is almost done.
Related: https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-signalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(2019-10-28, 06:13 PM)Sailoog Wrote: You will be able to set triggers (from a dashboard, GPIO...) and actions to send MQTT data using the openplotter-actions app. It will take some time to adapt it to the new framework of openplotter 2 but the development is almost done.

Sweet! Looking forward to it!! Do you have some sort of teaser picture? Or link? Or both? :-D
(2019-10-28, 06:21 PM)Ranur Wrote:
(2019-10-28, 06:13 PM)Sailoog Wrote: You will be able to set triggers (from a dashboard, GPIO...) and actions to send MQTT data using the openplotter-actions app. It will take some time to adapt it to the new framework of openplotter 2 but the development is almost done.

Sweet! Looking forward to it!! Do you have some sort of teaser picture? Or link? Or both? :-D

Not yet sorry, now our priority is to release OP2 ASAP, then we will be able to work on these extra tools.
So as the panel is coming together, I am looking for something like @Sitesurfer's https://youtu.be/jO3Ik1AIfPA?t=63 
The Apple solution is unfortunately not for me, as I'm all Android. Curios to what will be available in OP 2.0.

Attached Files Image(s)

(2019-10-28, 06:20 PM)tkurki Wrote: Related: https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-signalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have gotten the physical lights and the Shelly's to work as I want them. Have also hard wired a switch for each Shelly, which as a momentary switch also works for dimming. BUT as each Shelly controls 4 separate channels, each switch controls the same channels - simultaneously. The drawback to that of course is that I want each controlled individually - preferably with a slider or something for dimming. The homebridge solution didn't look bad at all - but it is apple, which really isn't my kind of fruit. :-o 
I understand Node Red is "God's gift to the Nerds", but haven gotten onto that path yet. Would that be a second best solution in order to achieve what I am looking for?

/Ranur
i have some dimmable led drivers from an aquarium build that i used with node red and a few slider's on the dashboard it worked realy well.
those meanwell ldd drivers dim to zero.
and with a PCA9685, i could use it with a pi

[Image: NewPcBs005_zpsb198a3a2.jpg&key=9cf843c26...393ce6f35d]
Being a +2hr beginner of Node Red - I obviously have some questions about how you did it! :-D Like stated previously, I am using the Shelly RGBW2, and was planning to use the MQTT to control the dimmers. Here are the MQTT specification for the Shelly: https://shelly-api-docs.shelly.cloud/#shelly-rgbw2-mqtt
Question is - how do I move on? Anyone done this in Node Red and care to share a flow?