This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No compass calibration For LSM9DS1 (BerryIMU V2)
I am having trouble getting the LSM9DS1 IMU to calibrate. The device is in a fixed location on the boat and even though the boat movement is significant the calibration still says there is insufficient data to calibrate. If I look in OCPN, the boat direction is different than GPS direction and if I offset, the next time I look at it it will be wrong again. 

Previously Sailoog stated that this sensor had not been added yet, is this a big job or is there another IMU I should add that is supported?
Recently I have been doing some test with the LSM9DS1 and I have been able to calibrate correctly.
You have to be sure to run the latest version of OpenPlotter Pypilot app and follow the instructions to calibrate:
https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ation.html
The LSM9DS1 has better compass than the mpu9250/mpu9255 but worse accelerometer so it is important you pass the step 1 "Accelerometer bias".
I am interested in your result, report please.
I will be at the boat tomorrow evening, I will see if I can calibrate using those instructions. I did not calibrate the accel page last time.
Got to the boat this morning, it is a bit wavy but I tried to calibrate and was successful (I believe). 

Here is a pic of the accel calibration page

The compass is calibrated in 2D only, I am still on the mooring,  I will check this again later after I have been sailing

Attached Files Image(s)

Any news on this?
(2020-06-16, 07:21 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Any news on this?

Yes, doesn’t seem to have worked, the IMU compass heading and gps compass heading vary massively and not consistently  - for instance we will be sailing a steady course and the IMU compass will be off by 90degrees, then I would change the offset to align them and later in the day they would be offset again. 

I will be on the boat again tomorrow and will get more info and examples of this
I was at the boat today and took some pictures of the alignment, accel and compass pages

on the accel page the calibration was from the 6 side box  exercise I did a couple of weeks ago. On the compass page it seems I am getting some calibration but perhaps not 3D, some of the earlier text said 2D fit.  on the alignment page the heading was completely wrong so I adjusted it to match the boat compass

Attached Files Image(s)

I spent some time doing different points of sail in order to calibrate the compass but keep getting 2D fit only and a message saying calibration is the same as previous. 
[img]webkit-fake-url://67E2245B-A600-430B-A0E5-5577E9214CF6/imagepng[/img]
I can not see your latest image.

Some ideas:

- It seems that the LSM9DS1 have worse gyros and needs a good accel calibration
- Do you have any strong magnetic interference? speakers, cables with high current...
Let me know if you can see attachment

I will try to move the sensor to another location and see if that helps

Attached Files Image(s)