This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terraπ - Winter rebuild
Photo 
[Image: 3aL52xxrkeSiPrYdA]
"How I did it"... Well I guess we are about to find out - aren't we. This is the log for my winter project. I bought the boat in May last year, after having been rental skipper for too long. She's a Danish 30 footer, built for racing in 1984, and refurbished in 1994. She was kitted with NASA instruments and an old Garmin 292 when I bought her, and the obvious lack of info I got from these instruments led me into some google fu and then OpenPlotter. I've been messing with the RPI all summer, but not bothered to add anything to the boat, as I realized my wiring and battery management was in dire need of replacement. Furthermore, I couldn't get NMEA data from the NASA instruments, so I decided to tackle the issue during winter season instead. 
Here's my current instrument panel:
[Image: XoGY9vdC6bUPNk927]
And the "dark" side:
[Image: WNHxtPiJgdu6wPuHA]

The boat had a start battery and a 75ah house battery. With poor connections on top of that, I quickly ran out of juice this summer, so the first order of business will be to rebuild my battery compartment to fit 3 90-100ah batteries. For starters I'll add one more, but I will prepare wiring and space for 3 in total. Here is after cleanup, but before yanking the under gauged wires.
[Image: j395UsENRtJFPzA5A]
YES the white light cable used is for 220V AC... The charger was connected to the batteries using speaker cables...
To get some NMEA I got impatient and went for some B&G equipment with the Triton2 Triducer as well as a Vulcan 7 MFD. Yeeeeah I know - probably an overkill and a duplication of the capacity of the OpenPlotter, but after having read a lot of comments about the lack of visibility of non-marine screens I went with B&G.
The plan is to add OpenPlotter, som 1W sensors for engine, fridge and so on, and learn as I go along. Having played with HomeAssistant for a while, I'd like to take some of that functionality to my boat, starting with changing all onboard lights from bulbs to LED's and LED strips. I have purchased RGBWW strips that I plan to run more or less all over the place, utilizing only the white and red channels for light/nightlight as I plan to do some short hand 24H racing. 
I also p l a n to document my progress as I go along - we'll se how that goes. 
That's about it for now - Let the fun begin -and DHL deliver. :-D

Any hints on how to make the images from my google photo available in the post is highly appreciated.
Photo 
Santa came early this year! Loaded with boating stuff!
In addition to new clutches and blocks, [Image: duR3jD9AsFbqPr1H7] he delivered a din rail with terminal blocks. [Image: duR3jD9AsFbqPr1H7]
The design is quite neat where the negative busbar is joined across all the negative terminals as shown in the pictures here: https://www.svb24.com/en/terminal-blocks.html 
I've found some inspiration from this guy: https://youtu.be/_vmQDvfvzVI?t=371 and looking forward to see the end result. 
The RED terminal blocks are to integrate the Shelly RGBW2 (https://shelly.cloud/wifi-smart-shelly-rgbw-2/) directly on the DIN rail for a clean installation. 
To be continued...