This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch control
Hello everybody

Last summer bought the motor controller from Pypilot website but used it only with a clutch-less actuator. 

Now I'm going to buy a linear actuator (found a second hand 'Raymarine Type 2' ) that has the clutch. 

I read on Motor Controller schematics that pin 11 on arduino controls the clutch but I'm not sure if it is directly connectable or if it needs some additional circuit.

Somebody can help me?

Thank You, bye
No, the electrical current that comes out of one of those pins is not big enough to drive clutch magnets; some service manual suggests a clutch current of max 1.5 amperes. So you need some kit to sit in between. Google search for 'relais module' if you want something ready-made, which I'd suggest. But if you want to get into electronics you only need a few parts to make one yourself.
You can drive a mosfet from pin 11 to drive the clutch. See the schematic of the hydraulic controller:
http://pypilot.org/schematics/hydraulic_controller.pdf
Thanks Sean
I saw it but don’t know precisely which model of MOSFET. Can you advise me about it?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
You should use a logic level mosfet capable of handling the current you need with acceptable losses. There are a wide range of mosfets suitable.
Hello i have a question i have a New used motor lewmar direct drive whith electromagnetic clutch
At 12 v it IS at 2.2 A i think it s to much have you any expérience for go down it IS right to change thé number in motor.ino whith test for search the good power thinks sorry for my explain in english
2.2a is ok for clutch output consider 10 milliohm resistance, losses in mosfet:

2.2*2.2*.02 only 50 milliwatts. As long as it's below 500 milliwatts the to220 package should be "ok"
Thanks Sean Would it be possible to give 12v 2 Amps when switching on and then reduce for maintenance I think the hydraulic pilot uses this system on the solenoid
(2021-06-16, 06:36 PM)chech Wrote: Thanks Sean Would it be possible to give 12v 2 Amps when switching on and then reduce for maintenance I think the hydraulic pilot uses this system on the solenoid

The DRV101 can be set to provide a strong initial closure, automatically switching to a soft hold mode for power savings it is posible to use it

can i made this whith mofset whith modification of motor.ino
it is already supported now in the github repository to set a pwm value for the clutch output to reduce current