This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Openplotter on a readonly filesystem
There are several websites explaining how to run a rpi on a readonly website, but always without x-server. What I did is use a common way to have the "/" and "/boot" directories readonly, and than have "/home" on a seperated partion. This  home partion is actually 3 partions and the formatted with btrfs in raid-5. Now the homepartion is read/write but also secure for SDcard corruption. The result is an openplotter rpi where you can pull out the power plug while running without problems. (At least until now I didn't have any).
HERE  is a link to an image file (Needs a 16Gb) SDcard)
(2020-01-03, 05:37 PM)RooieDirk Wrote: There are several websites explaining how to run a rpi on a readonly website, but always without x-server. What I did is use a common way to have the "/" and "/boot" directories readonly, and than have "/home" on a seperated partion. This  home partion is actually 3 partions and the formatted with btrfs in raid-5. Now the homepartion is read/write but also secure for SDcard corruption. The result is an openplotter rpi where you can pull out the power plug while running without problems. (At least until now I didn't have any).
HERE  is a link to an image file (Needs a 16Gb) SDcard)

Hi, 

I tried to set up a system like this, using the link you mentioned on zeilersforum.nl
https://medium.com/swlh/make-your-raspbe...558694de79?

SingalK works just fine, but there seems to be a problem running  Xorg: VNC connects, but says "Cannot Display Desktop"

Do you have any hints for me?

Best regards, 
Tobias
Hoi Tobias,

The only advice I have is: check the log. And if it is an X problem check the X log (".xsession-error" in your home dir)

On my pi it takes about one full minute before I can login with the VNC viewer.

Oh one more advice, is your pi configured to start without the need of an user password? I think it is needed.
RD
Hi RD,

The message was fairly generic, "mkstemps: permission denied"

Nevertheless, there is a very simple solution: I set up a raid array for /home and activated the overlay fs in raspi-config, which makes / read-only

Best regards, Tobias
(2021-01-28, 09:08 PM)tobias.e Wrote: The message was fairly generic, "mkstemps: permission denied"

strace -e open may help see the parameters to the call to mkstemps.  Is /tmp set up to be a tmpfs ramdisk?