This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPU9250 heading is slowly drifting
(2020-01-09, 11:06 AM)Sailoog Wrote: Can you describe your openplotter installation? from our images? from Raspbian? from another debian flavor?

use openplotter-settings to update openplotter apps, do not use apt.

I use the image from OpenPlotter from 16 december 2019.
Updated everything with openplotter settings.

Calibration from compass remains on 0 0 0 30 0, so no calibration....
I have been able to reproduce your issue. Please follow this to calibrate: http://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=calibration
(2020-01-09, 02:50 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I have been able to reproduce your issue. Please follow this to calibrate: http://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=calibration

I tried the callibration procedure over and over again, but it does not trigger anything, so.etimes I see a new pypilot.conf being written, but it is still 0 0 0 1

I tried copying in the calibration values for compass in the pypilot.conf file, but the values for compass also remain 0 0 0 30 .
Although the values in the conf are different. They remain different after the conf is written.
I see no 30 anywhere in the conf. So I have the impression that the conf is not read.
(2020-01-09, 02:50 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I have been able to reproduce your issue. Please follow this to calibrate: http://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=calibration

I'm having the exact same issue. Unable to get past the accelerometer calibration. The sphere seems to reset it self after all points are taken in but the calibration is not reset.

Have tried two different sensors that have worked in the past. Do not know if this matters but using MPU6050.
I would like to reproduce this.

Are you starting with an openplotter image, or raspbian and running the openplotter scripts? I did the second way to install on my pi4.
Started with an openplotter image. Using pi3B+

Uninstalled and reinstalled Pypilot.

Using "Only Compass".
Sean, It does not matter if you use an OP image or you install openplotter-pypilot from raspbian, the forked pypilot in openplotter will be always installed, this is the difference with the current pypilot repo: https://github.com/openplotter/pypilot/c...lot:master

I always use the forked openplotter repo of pypilot to have always the latest known version that works but you can compile pypilot again from your repo after installing openplotter-pypilot
op2
i did a reinstall from scratch using the headless img and updated all the apps via setup as of today. my IMU is reporting -140 and about 80 for pitch and heal levelling does not correct this..
ddelorme:

What happens if you install pypilot from github?

git clone github.com/pypilot/pypilot
cd pypilot
sudo python setup.py install
sudo reboot
I have exactly the same problem with the MPU9255 sensor. Since the previous version of Pypilot, without Pypilot support, was updated to the beta that already incorporated pilot support, the MPU is no longer stable. In my case the calibration does occur but the values do not remain stable. Pitch, roll, heel and heading all start to vary every few seconds and become totally useless. I tested it with a clean Openplotter installation from yesterday January 13th. The MPU works fine with the previous backup but there is something in the new version of pypilot or some of its components that fails with the MPU9255.. 

Being able to download the older version for those of us who don't need pypilot support could be a solution for now. Unfortunately once a new part of openplotter is updated it is not possible to go back to the previous version and if something goes wrong we get stuck.
Why are sailors more daring than other men?
Because: No man is so often afraid
like the sailors.

"Of the questions of the seafaring world", in
The Tree of Science, Ramon Llull