This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regular vs. Headless
I'm learning and configuring Openplotter on R PI 4 for eventual use in small, trailerable sailboat.

GPS puck - check.
Open CPN - check.
VNC access via phone/tablet - check.

At this point, it's not clear whether I'll want to get a small display to mount or be satisfied with remote access over wifi. Auto boot is working so that I can power up the current installation without needing monitor, keyboard, mouse. 

Question:

Is there an advantage to running the headless build versus regular? 

I'm imagining that the desktop environment expends some energy, even when screensaver kicks in or HDMI monitor is powered down. I don't see much system load so far in testing; temp is 48 - 50 C. Current draw is averaging .83 amp. 

Seems like I'd appreciate the flexibility of having the full environment running from time to time -- but maybe I'm missing something of the tradeoff? 

Thanks for advice.

Ken Sherwood
I use both. I have a monitor at the nav station, and a tablet running VNC. I find that I more frequently use OpenCPN on the tablet directly, and just use OP to generate a NMEA stream that OpenCPN on the tablet listens to.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk