This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPI in marine environment, rust, corrosion, cases, etc.
Rapidly learning about OP and the RPI and beginning to think about how I will integrate into my sailboat.  Everything will be mounted below deck, but even so, how much should I be worried about corrosion, rust, etc.?  Are longtime users doing OK with their RPIs in enclosures that are not completely sealed from salt air?   ....or should I be planning to have everything completely sealed up (which introduces heat issues, particularly with my RPI4)?
(2020-01-08, 05:44 PM)w7thmark Wrote: Rapidly learning about OP and the RPI and beginning to think about how I will integrate into my sailboat.  Everything will be mounted below deck, but even so, how much should I be worried about corrosion, rust, etc.?  Are longtime users doing OK with their RPIs in enclosures that are not completely sealed from salt air?   ....or should I be planning to have everything completely sealed up (which introduces heat issues, particularly with my RPI4)?
Or copy your SD and spend 50 usd per year for a new raspi ... Smile
(2020-01-08, 05:44 PM)w7thmark Wrote: Rapidly learning about OP and the RPI and beginning to think about how I will integrate into my sailboat.  Everything will be mounted below deck, but even so, how much should I be worried about corrosion, rust, etc.?  Are longtime users doing OK with their RPIs in enclosures that are not completely sealed from salt air?   ....or should I be planning to have everything completely sealed up (which introduces heat issues, particularly with my RPI4)?
Or copy your SD and spend 50 usd per year for a new raspi ... Smile
My first attempt at pypilot consists of a lunchbox and hot glue. Next stop: A PCB. I will buy some "conformal coating" on ebay and spray everything with that. I think that will make it corrosion proof. It's what the big players do.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=conformal+coating
(2020-01-10, 09:38 AM)CapnKernel Wrote: My first attempt at pypilot consists of a lunchbox and hot glue.  Next stop: A PCB.  I will buy some "conformal coating" on ebay and spray everything with that.  I think that will make it corrosion proof.  It's what the big players do.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=conformal+coating

Didn't think of that!  My employer uses that (medical devices).
https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Sili...764&sr=8-4