This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to OpenPlotter
Hey guys...

Found this some time ago. I actually work with cars mostly, boat is for my own pleasure. I used RPi before for car multimedia systems on OEM nav screens. For fun. Found this and used my new Pi4 to start to play with this.

I am currently waiting for my AIS antenna to arrive and for the HAT on the shop here to be on stock...

A few questions;
I can slowly understand what Kplex and SignalK (their meaning and usage) the other stuff is pretty straight forward but i dont really know how to import charts to OpenCPN? I would really like to use Navionics charts since i bought this app...

I would also like to modernize my boat with LCD screen instead of gauges (Volvos 5l) and show the gauges over signalK... Is Actisense and other stuff the only option? Not really a cheap option i guess or maybe i just like to make my life miserable :Smile

I am also thinking how to monitor my boat while in the marina on winters... I am currently going through this forum, Ole W Saastadt's blog and OpenSkipper documentation but there is so much info that i really miss some point Smile

Regards,Saso
Navonics will not work at this time, there were a few hacks out there in the past but as far as I know none of them work now

you can subscribe to charts from https://o-charts.org/shop/en/ ... they are not as good as the high res charts from Navonics but they are not too bad.[url=https://o-charts.org/shop/en/][/url]
Be sure to buy the dongle or you will find yourself wishing you did when your sd card in your RPi fails... and it will so get the dongle
Hey,

Thanks for the reply Smile i will look into this... You all had experience with failing SD cards in the RPi? Should i better use a SSD?
I was exploring yesterday that Volvo offers engine gateway with NMEA2000 output also Fox Marine, YachtDevices that reads J1709 protocol that older Volvo engines used so it seems like a simple device. Should i spend 400€ for the unit to get my Gauges digital or...? Smile Any cheaper alternatives?
(2020-01-10, 02:21 PM)xsashox Wrote: Hey,

Thanks for the reply Smile i will look into this... You all had experience with failing SD cards in the RPi? Should i better use a SSD?
I was exploring yesterday that Volvo offers engine gateway with NMEA2000 output also Fox Marine, YachtDevices that reads J1709 protocol that older Volvo engines used so it seems like a simple device. Should i spend 400€ for the unit to get my Gauges digital or...? Smile Any cheaper alternatives?

I have switched to msata drive, with the RPi3b you can boot directly to msata, with the RPi4 you still need the sd card to begin the process but it hands over to msata so very little to no wear on the card. But I would first get comfortable running from the SD card, adding the SSD drive can open its own world of complications and just adds to the learning process. which is why I suggest getting the dongle, that way as you progress in your understanding and your goals change accordingly you can take the charts with you.
There is a way to capture charts from Navionics Web and convert them to mbtiles, which can be read by OpenCPN. Since Navionics charts are vector, that capture causes the charts to lose any data that might have been in the vectors, like details about ports, hazards, etc. Discussion of it is a bit out of scope for a forum about OpenPlotter, however.

I suggest you look into a program called SASPlanet, which can export onscreen charts to mbtiles. Depending on where you are, there are also charts available from companies like O-charts and others (unfortunately, not for me here in Mexico).

For speed and reliability, it's difficult to beat an SSD drive with your RPI. There are multiple web sites out there that describe how to set up your RPI to boot from USB (in the case of 3+ and below), or boot from SD card and use an USB-connected SSD for your root in the case of RPI4. Many of us have been doing this for a long time with OP. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't trust my navigation to an SD card unless I had a lot of backups. I know there are high-use SD cards available that might be less prone to failure.
you should keep your analog Gauges for backup, computers can fail but those good ole analog Gauges will still be useful
@abarrow i will take a look at SASplanet and will take a look at SSD options Smile
@jim321 thanks i was planing on keeping the analog gauges for a backup but making a new panel for the 7 or 10 inch display in the middle or using an existing chartplotter so i mount a radar also since few budget radars have NMEA output... Above the dash i also wanted to mount a RPi screen for the instruments and OpenCPN etc... or a pad for remote operation... Cant decide on that yet Smile

My Volvo's use a J1708 standard of comms with MEFI3 ECU's. Since looking over the internet it's a simple thing, many allready designed things can communicate to it so it's just a matter of translating it and sending it over N2K network. Yacht Devices have solutions, Maretron, Volvo Easy Connect, ... So it should not be a big deal since heavy machinery etc use the standard also. I am currently looking at Fox Marine or Yact Devices solution to buy...
(2020-01-11, 08:45 PM)xsashox Wrote: @abarrow i will take a look at SASplanet.... 

Try this..... 
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121...ost2860707
Hey @PaddyB

Thanks for this. Took a look and i'm allready downloading the map. It's about to take 3 days i think Smile

Anyone can share any knowledge on J1708 comms? Smile
Since we are on this topic, a few tips for creating mbtiles charts from SASPlanet:

1. (and this is a big one) Don't choose every zoom. Zoom 1 is like a hemisphere, and Zoom 24 is grains of sand on the beach (I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea). Try starting at something like Zoom 6 or 8, and going down to around 18, choosing only every other zoom (6, 8, 10, 12, etc...). OpenCPN will scale between the zooms, and beyond about 18 you aren't getting enough additional detail to be worth the download time.
2. Preload you cache. Use the selection tool to choose the area you are going to make charts of, and the zoom levels, then tell SASPlanet to download those tiles. Save the selection area so you can use it again. When you go to export to mbtiles, just choose the same selection area and ask for an mbtiles chart to be made, using the same zoom levels you originally preloaded into your cache.
3. Use the polygon selection tool instead of the rectangular tool. That way you don't end up downloading and making charts of large areas of land that you don't care about.

All of this will cut your download time from days to hours.