This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network settings
Having some trouble finding the correct network settings for my layout, and I feel others might run into the same issue.

Marina WIFi -> Outdoor WiFI AP -> LAN -> Pi/Openplotter -> Local ships WiFi AP.

I have a outdoor WiFi access point (Ubiquity) mounted on the arch, it's wireless interface is connected to the marina WiFi @ DHCP 192.168.1.75. It's local LAN interface is static @ 192.168.5.1. My laptop works perfectly when connected via LAN cable at static 192.168.5.2.

I then transfer the LAN cable to the PI. The pre-set network settings in OpenPlotter all seem to work after I apply the config, reset, and manually set the eth0 to 192.168.5.2 and 192.168.5.1 as gateway via the task bar network config GUI. This works, hit and miss, and with horrible latency as if there is an IP or packet conflict of some kind. I'm guessing the PI doesn't like getting some settings from OP network config, and then additional manual settings from the PI GUI network settings.

OP then shares that eth0 connection over WiFi as a local access point at the default 10.10.10.1 DHCP. Ideally I would also be able to config the PI WiFi onto the same 192.168.5.x subnet so I can still access the outdoor access point from any device to change it's config/connection.

Thing is, I've used this arrangement before on previous versions of OP and it worked great. Something in the last update seems to have changed the pre-config settings.

I've also tried editing some of the network config files directly but it's hit and miss as I'm not sure exactly which files OP/PI are using as the active network configs. May I've been using the wrongs ones.

Any guidance much appreciated as I'm about to install a needless router along side to get around this issue.
Hopefully someone with more specific OpenPlotter experience will chime in, but I can point out a few issues you may run into.
I am just starting to check out OP, to replace an embedded device I have that is similar, vYacht which is OpenWRT based.
It does many of the same things Signal K, NMEA N2K, 0183 multiplex, WiFi, WAN and LAN ethernet but has performance issues.

I have a similar network to you with an external Groove Mikrotik AP for uplink to marinas.
I'll do two parts, general background on the challenges and then how I dealt with it.

General:
You are going to run into several networking issues with any such arrangement. DNS, routing, NAT, DHCP.
Your connectivity is really more like this: (IPs are examples only)
Internet IP address -> ISP NAT (10.x.x.x) -> Marine Router/Firewall NAT LAN (192.168.9.x) -route> Marina WiFi network (192.168.1.x) -> Marine AP <- WiFi ->
192.168.1.75 DHCP Your AP (router firewall NAT, DHCP, DNS proxy) LAN 192.168.5.1 -> <-Ethernet ->
static - RaPi (router, WiFi controller AP, DHCP) -> Boat WiFi 10.10.10.1 -> WiFi client tablet/PC (DHCP client)

the laptop is simple single client but the Pi...
is the Pi doing NAT also? Does it have any firewall?
Does it do DNS proxy for WiFi clients? is Pi DHCP passing the clients a good DNS server IP?
DNS proxy at multiple layers can cause DNS timeouts, direct DNS query to Internet may be blocked by ISP.
NAT can be particularly troublesome and will vary depending on your setup, the marina and even their ISP.
NAT at multiple layers can affect packet size and cause dropped packets at certain mid way routers
repeated NAT can also be seen by some devices (such as at the ISP) as tampering or man-in-the-middle spoofing and dropped.
Routing, the Pi may need a static default route 0.0.0.0 next hop 192.168.5.1 so that the Boat WiFi network knows where to send "Internet" addresses.
And of course at any given marina your internal network can not be the same subnet as the marina.

My setup:
To avoid the last issue I chose high internal networks, 192.168.221.x, 192.168.222.x, 192.168.223.x, and so on.
My AP the Groove is in CPE mode, dumb no other functions, CPE mode passes the WiFI connection direct to the next device,
The AP never gets an IP itself from any marina, it does have a static IP on a tagged VLAN 192.168.223.2 on the physical Ethernet port.
The router (vYacht or Pi) wired port gets DHCP from the marina, it also has static tagged VLAN interface 192.168.223.1 to connect to the AP for WiFi setup.
marina WiFi -> Groove in CPE mode -> WAN Port (gets a marina DHCP address) vYacht device (router, NAT DNS proxy, DHCP ->
<-LAN port Ethernet -> DHCP 192.168.221.x (the Pi only has one port so if you need separate internal hard wired network ?)
<-WiFi AP -> DHCP 192.168.222.x -> WiFi client tablet/PC
This way the Pi (or my vYacht) manages everything it is the "core router/switch" firewall, routes. etc.
All default routing/DNS proxy is picked up everytime a new AP uplink is established because the Pi is aware.

Sorry this is not very OP specific once I get setup I'll do some testing