This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot update - new user
PI have a PyPilot from Sean. Pi zero wh.  It works fine.  I want to update with the new image.  The instructions say to make a copy of the PyPilot.conf file and reinsert that in the new image.  That’s where I am stuck.  

I have new 16g Micro SD cards
I have formatted the SD card on a windows laptop with SD FORMATTER.
I downloaded the image to the Win laptop and unzipped it with 7 Zip
I flashed it to the SD card with ETCHER

I have a second laptop with Navigatrix, running on some Unix build.
I put the SD card in there and can see the file format

However I can NOT find the PyPilot.conf file, nor a tc folder

I put the old SD card in and see the (generally) same file structure but can not find the PyPilot.conf file there either.

I have downloaded PuTTy and have successfully logged onto pypilot.  
I’m a complete neophyte with Python but fans cd and ls.
However I can’t find the “.pypilot.conf” time

So some advice would be appreciated.
tinypilot - located in /home/tc/.pypilot/pypilot.conf

https://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=upgrade_software

make sure you have view hidden files checked
if not there use the search in your file manager..
files and directories beginning with . are hidden by default. So when you mount the sd card on navigatrix it should be mounted somewhere like /media/user/disk/.pypilot/pypilot.conf

I can change the symlinks around a bit to make this folder not hidden in future tinypilots.
I have a related problem, and need help along the same lines.

I have a tinypilot which came to me a few months ago with v 1.0 (?).  I had only this week mounted it with its mcu in the boat, and tried it after some calibration.  As I reviewed how to do that, I found the images archive and realized I needed to update the system. I wrote the new image (tinypilot_20200109.img.xz) to the existing micro sd card before learning to save the pypilot.conf file.

My first problem is that the Nokia screen now does not initiate, and I'm at a loss how to configure that. (Tiny Core is unfamiliar).  I've combed through the wiki and forum here, but can't find how to wake up the screen.  I'm aware, too, that the infrared service may need configuration in this new image.

Is there available a "stock" tiny pilot image with the configurations in place for a "production" tiny pilot? Or a link to a wiki post detailing how to update these services on this new image? It took me most of this evening to ssh in, and now I need guidance to progress. Huh

Thanks !
The 2020 image is a little too new. It has some bugs with calibrating the compass. It should work with the nokia5110 display but if it doesn't I suggest trying the next older image:

http://pypilot.org/images/
(2020-01-30, 06:51 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: The 2020 image is a little too new.   It has some bugs with calibrating the compass.   It should work with the nokia5110 display but if it doesn't I suggest trying the next older image:

http://pypilot.org/images/
Good morning, Sean,
Thanks for answering.  I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'm still floundering after updating my tinypilot. Here's where I am:

I have tried ALL the images at pypilot.org/images/.  All will boot and run, but none comes up with the nokia screen displaying anything. The screen lights up, but nothing "printing". As I'd said earlier, I did NOT preserve and restore my pypilot.conf file from the tinypilot, so I suspect the display service is not running.  I do NOT know how to list, start or stop services for tiny pilot in tiny core, apart from looking at ps -A, or using kill.

The tiny pilot, right now, has 1.14 build from git per the wiki (https://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=upgrading_from_git). (I gave that a try after etching and testing all the images from the repository).

It boots, appears to run normally on the bench, and I can ssh into it. All I want to accomplish for now is to restore the nokia lcd, so I can save a copy of pypilot.conf with that much working. I believe I can work backwards from there to whatever image has the best functionality from there.

Thanks again for all your work, and all the help, too!
Elliott
the screen should work fine on any of the images. So the probably is likely not software.

The nokia screen is fragile and held on by a metal tab. It's possible when you took the sd card out the connction here was compromised. This is an unfortunate poor design. I am hopefully switching to a different lcd soon with better resolution but mostly not this tab.

I would boot the image, and once it is booted gently press on the metal tab at the wider part just above the cold connector. if you massage it a bit you might see something on the screen, and you can try to rebend the metal tabs or possibly replace the nokia5110. Sorry for this trouble and the poor design of the nokia5110.
(2020-01-30, 07:00 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: the screen should work fine on any of the images.   So the probably is likely not software.

The nokia screen is fragile and held on by a metal tab.    It's possible when you took the sd card out the connction here was compromised.    This is an unfortunate poor design.   I am hopefully switching to a different lcd soon with better resolution but mostly not this tab.

I would boot the image, and once it is booted gently press on the metal tab at the wider part just above the cold connector.   if you massage it a bit you might see something on the screen, and you can try to rebend the metal tabs or possibly replace the nokia5110.    Sorry for this trouble and the poor design of the nokia5110.

Ahh. Hardware. (sigh) Your suggestions did the trick. It's working again.

Thank you!
Thanks to all who responded. For whatever reason the forum list showed no one read or responded so I didn’t see responses until I went into the thread. I’ll go through suggestions as soon as I can, in a couple of days.
Jim321 & Sean;

Thanks, got it. Show hidden files and there it was.

Sean,

Just to close up for now I calibrated the new pypilot and it works fine. I’m having trouble with the compass but I think that is an issue with the steel hull, my Binnical compass is going nutz as is my iPhone compass. It works fine on a GPS heading.

I still have 2 open issues:
1: the PYPILOT control app is crashing OpenCPN
2: weather helm, that’s my issue and I’m working on it.

I’ll email a more detailed report in a few weeks. I’m on the trail of figuring out the problem. I think I’ve recently made a lot of headway.