This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lifting keel sensor, how to integrate ?
Hi,

I have a boat with a lifting keel. I know it is not that common. But i would like to make a sensor which tells me the position of the lifting keel.

So I've found a sensor which measures distance. This sensor has an I2C interface. And there is an C arduino library available, which arrange calibration, measuring etc.

On the end I would like to have a signal K format signal, which can be displayed.
Code:
/vessels/<RegExp>/design/keel/lift

Units: ratio (Ratio)

Description: In the case of a lifting keel, centreboard or daggerboard, the part of the keel which is extended. 0 is 'all the way up' and 1 is 'all the way down'. 0.8 would be 80% down.

related to this is of course 
Code:
Description: Depth related data

/vessels/<RegExp>/environment/depth/belowKeel

Units: m (Meter)

I now come to the implementation part and have several possibilities;

1. directly connect sensor to I2C bus of PI. I don't have a library, i think I have to program something in phyton ?
  2. connect sensor to a small arduino board and use USB/serial interface to communicate between (sensor/arduino) and openplotter 
    a. native like described in: part2  and part 3
          b. via MQTT between (sensor/arduino) and OP/PI sending native or JSON messages
          c. via NMEA 0183 (Private) messages between (sensor/arduino) and OP/PI
      3. ??

I'm sailor and not an experienced programmer ..
Any suggestions are welcome

G.
(2016-11-20, 02:00 PM)gniersma Wrote: Hi,

I have a boat with a lifting keel. I know it is not that common. But i would like to make a sensor which tells me the position of the lifting keel.

So I've found a sensor which measures distance. This sensor has an I2C interface. And there is an C arduino library available, which arrange calibration, measuring etc.

On the end I would like to have a signal K format signal, which can be displayed.
Code:
/vessels/<RegExp>/design/keel/lift

Units: ratio (Ratio)

Description: In the case of a lifting keel, centreboard or daggerboard, the part of the keel which is extended. 0 is 'all the way up' and 1 is 'all the way down'. 0.8 would be 80% down.

related to this is of course 
Code:
Description: Depth related data

/vessels/<RegExp>/environment/depth/belowKeel

Units: m (Meter)

I now come to the implementation part and have several possibilities;

1. directly connect sensor to I2C bus of PI. I don't have a library, i think I have to program something in phyton ?
  2. connect sensor to a small arduino board and use USB/serial interface to communicate between (sensor/arduino) and openplotter 
    a. native like described in: part2  and part 3
          b. via MQTT between (sensor/arduino) and OP/PI sending native or JSON messages
          c. via NMEA 0183 (Private) messages between (sensor/arduino) and OP/PI
      3. ??

I'm sailor and not an experienced programmer ..
Any suggestions are welcome

G.

I might  be worth looking at node red,  already installed in raspian,  just type "node-red"  in a terminal to check it out, very powerful. It has an i2c input so it may be a way to get the data and format a signalk message then send it out to openplotter. 
https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-i2c
thx Paddy,

Managed to get this working via node-red. 
Signalpath:  Sensor (I2C or SPI)--> arduino --> USB(serial) --> Openplotter PI --> Serial interface node-red
Point now is that in the real practice the sensor has to be installed outside, harsh environment, seawater. So USB is not the correct way i think. ESP8266(wifi) is not reliable on an aluminium boat. So thinking of RS485. N2k looks to complex to me

G.