This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED][OP2] Latest beta does not boot on RPI3+ with Moitessier HAT 1
Hi,

I've tried the latest V2 beta (2020-01-13), Moitessier version on my existing OpenPlotter hardware, a Raspberry Pi 3+ with a Moitessier HAT version 1 mounted on it.

My existing V1 SD card works without any issue, but I've tried V2 on 2 different SD cards, NOOBS and IMG versions, and I always get the same issue:

1. The Pi starts booting, with the multi-color screen.
  2. Then I get the Raspbian splash screen (white with a raspberry in the center), and I see a few services starting in the bottom left. (I'm really not sure, but I think the last one I see starting is openplotter.service)
  3. Then the screen turns blank, and the green LED on the Pi flashes a few times and turns off.
I believe this might be a bug, just let me know if you want me to try specific actions. My next step is to try the non-moitessier version.
This has been reported here: http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2152
But better use this specific thread to solve it.

this is my test this morning:

- Raspberry 3B+ and moitessier HAT 1
- Download and install latest OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT edition NOOBS file.
- In first boot skip the system update. kernel is 4.19.75 v7+, preinstalled driver match this kernel. Everything works OK.
- Reboot. Everything works OK.
- Update system to kernel 4.19.93 v7+ and reboot.
- Obviously the installed driver does not match the kernel and moitessier hat does not works. Download and update driver from openplotter-moitessier app to 4.19.93_1.4.1
- Disable SPI and I2C from raspberry preferences. System hangs.
- Restart. The system starts nornally with SPI and I2C disabled so no data from the HAT.
- Enable SPI and I2C. Everything works OK.
- Put the same SD into Raspberry 4. Everything works OK.

My hypothesis is that my moitessier 1 has been already flashed with the new firmware.

emilecantin please could you try with the starting edition? download and update the system to the new kernel 4.19.93, install openplotter-moitessier app from openplotter-settings and download and install the matching driver.
I was about to try that, but I'm kind of afraid now to flash the new firmware on my moitessier, will it make it stop working with my old Openplotter V1?

I'd rather not risk it, because I kind of rely on it.
I just tried the "Starting" edition, and it does boot on my system. Haven't tried installing the Moitessier drivers yet, as I don't want to break my existing setup. However, I think this might be confirmation that the issue I was having was due to OP2 not being able to talk to my Moitessier that has the old firmware.
Test just now:
RPI3+, with StromPI 3 (to avoid power issues) and Moitessier 1
- fresh download of 2020-01-13-OpenPlotter-Headless-v2.0.img
- rufus to SDHC card - boot
- sw update (took ~ 40min) ok
-reboot - config SPI and I2C interface enabled - reboot
- OP setting - OP Moitessier install
- rpi kernel xx93 - dowload moit kernel xx93
(after download the new moitessier kernel was not available in /.openplotter/moitessier/ so I copied from download directory)
- installed xx93 Moitessier kernel - system reboots
- after reboot system hangs with raspi logo at load_driver_moitessier_service

cut power of raspi, wait 5 min and power on again
- same scenario: hangs on load_driver_moitessier_service and does not respond to any keyboard actions

suggestion: set a timeout to continue loading in case somethings goes wrong during moitessier driver startup.
Anything else I can try other than start from scratch again? - Pls advise
Hello!

I did some testing with the latest image 2020-01-13-OpenPlotter-Moitessier-HAT-v2.0.img and with different Raspberry Pi (Pi 4, Pi 3+, Pi 3) and Moitessier HAT versions (P770010E05, P770010E04, P770010E02). All tests were performed with the same SD card and image.

P770010E05 = Moitessier HAT 2
P770010E04 = latest revision of Moitessier HAT 1

Everything worked as expected.

I did the following steps:
1.) downloaded 2020-01-13-OpenPlotter-Moitessier-HAT-v2.0.img
2.) flashed SD card (Transcend Premium TS32GUSDCU1, 32Gbyte)
3.) booted system (Moitessier HAT not attached)
4.) updated system incl. latest kernel version 4.19.93
5.) shutdown system
6.) attached Moitessier HAT 2
7.) checked communication cat /dev/moitessier.tty
Repeated steps 5 to 7 with all Pi and HAT combinations.
No need to enable/disable any functionality in the raspi config.

Regards,
Thomas
Okay, so you first need to boot without the HAT attached? I can try that, but honestly it kind of lowers the "value" of having a Moitessier version. I'd rather directly install the correct version for my HAT from the regular OpenPlotter 2.

Also, the driver needs to be a bit more resilient to that kind of thing, it should at least not crash the whole system (to give you the chance to update to the latest version).

Okay, I just did another test: I installed the Moitessier package on OP2 Starting edition. After installation, the Moitessier UI detected the HAT, and it properly detected the SPI and I2C interfaces. However, it wanted me to install the driver, and after doing that, I'm back to square one; it doesn't boot anymore.
I just tried booting it without the HAT attached, and it did boot this time. When I ran "check system" in the Moitessier UI, it told me something about the driver being "installed ok, partly configured" (should have taken a picture, sorry). I re-ran the install still without the HAT attached, and while I had some errors (because the HAT wasn't attached), after that I had "installed ok" on the system check.

I shut down, re-installed the HAT and tried rebooting, it still crashes. It looks like the firmware version on my HAT makes the driver crash or something, but I can't even boot to update that firmware.

Luckily everything still works fine on my OP v1 install.
Please could someone experimenting this issue (different than emilecantin) try this:

- Run a fresh OP Starting edition (no the OP Moitessier edition), HAT attached. DO NOT enable SPI and I2C yet.
- Update the system to latest kernel 4.19.93
- Edit file /boot/config.txt with sudo permission and add this line:

dtoverlay=i2c-gpio,i2c_gpio_sda=2,i2c_gpio_scl=3,bus=3

- Save /boot/config.txt and reboot.
- Enable SPI and I2C. DO NOT reboot.
- Install openplotter-moitessier app and download and install the driver for 4.19.93 from the app.
- what happens after rebooting?
(2020-01-23, 05:19 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Please could someone experimenting this issue (different than emilecantin) try this:

- Run a fresh OP Starting edition (no the OP Moitessier edition), HAT attached. DO NOT enable SPI and I2C yet.
- Update the system to latest kernel 4.19.93
- Edit file /boot/config.txt with sudo permission and add this line:

dtoverlay=i2c-gpio,i2c_gpio_sda=2,i2c_gpio_scl=3,bus=3

- Save /boot/config.txt and reboot.
- Enable SPI and I2C. DO NOT reboot.
- Install openplotter-moitessier app and download and install the driver for 4.19.93 from the app.
- what happens after rebooting?

Hey,

I missed your post about the process you wanted to follow. I will wipe the unit and do it again, but I installed as per below and had a successful install on the second attempt.

To confirm hardware - Pi3B+ Moitessier Hat v1

1. - New NOOBS download
  2. - Copy NOOBS to newly formatted SD Card
  3. - Ran the NOOBS first boot install and completed OK
  4. - Cancelled the Pi first boot config setup update wizard to not update kernel
  5. - Enabled SPI and i2c interfaces in Pi Config
  6. - Installed Moitessier Hat App
  7. - Ran the system and config checkers - Notified to install i2c app
  8. - Installed i2c app
  9. - Ran checkers again - showing HAT driver not installed
  10. - Downloaded drivers in the HAT app via download button
  11. - Installed the driver for the original kernel 4.19.75_armhf.deb (NOT the 4.19.75_1.40.0 version)
  12. - Driver installed and it did not flash the Moitessier Hat and forced reboot
  13. - rebooted
  14. - Unit came back up and the config checker said the wrong driver installed
  15. - Open Moitessier App and install 4.19.75_1.40.0_armhf.deb driver - this time the install flashed the HAT with the firmware and rebooted
  16. - Rebooted unit and ran sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade
  17. - All apps and kernel updated to latest versions and forced reboot
  18. - rebooted clean and gave warning that driver version was incorrect
  19. - Ran HAT App and installed 4.19.93_1.40.1_armhf.deb and the install flashed the HAT again with new firmware and forced reboot
  20. - Unit came up clean and reported everything OK, but HAT not attached - Figure I need to configure connections here from the manual