This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED][OP2] Latest beta does not boot on RPI3+ with Moitessier HAT 1
(2020-01-23, 03:33 PM)emilecantin Wrote: Okay, so you first need to boot without the HAT attached? I can try that, but honestly it kind of lowers the "value" of having a Moitessier version. I'd rather directly install the correct version for my HAT from the regular OpenPlotter 2.

Also, the driver needs to be a bit more resilient to that kind of thing, it should at least not crash the whole system (to give you the chance to update to the latest version).

Okay, I just did another test: I installed the Moitessier package on OP2 Starting edition. After installation, the Moitessier UI detected the HAT, and it properly detected the SPI and I2C interfaces. However, it wanted me to install the driver, and after doing that, I'm back to square one; it doesn't boot anymore.

There is no need to detach the HAT.

Does your system shutdown, hang or reboot?
I am trying to reproduce your scenario.
emilecantin could you check what is the driver version in your working setup with openplotter 1?
Type this in a terminal and copy here:

dpkg -s moitessier
(2020-01-24, 03:20 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am trying to reproduce your scenario.
emilecantin could you check what is the driver version in your working setup with openplotter 1?
Type this in a terminal and copy here:

dpkg -s moitessier

Sure, here it is:

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ dpkg -s moitessier
Package: moitessier
Maintainer: Thomas POMS <hwsw.development@gmail.com>
Architecture: armhf
Version: 4.14.34-2018.04.29-213134
Description: Moitessier HAT (AIS/GNSS navigation)
This package provides all the relevant tools, binaries and scripts to communicate, control and update the Moitessier HAT.
Homepage: http://www.rooco.at
pi@openplotter:~ $

And to answer your other question, it looks like it shuts down: the screen goes black, no network connection. The red LED on the Pi stays on, but the green one flashes a few times and then stays off. I tried HDMI safe mode, still the same thing.

That happens while it's booting, with the white splash screen and the service names in the bottom left. I can't really see what's the last one, though, it goes too fast.
You are running a very old firmware version. I will try to flash a moitessier hat 1 with that. Thanks.
(2020-01-24, 04:10 PM)Sailoog Wrote: You are running a very old firmware version.  I will try to flash a moitessier hat 1 with that. Thanks.

Yeah, as soon as you mentioned firmware updates I thought that might be the issue. There are 2 things I want to emphasize, though:
  • This is the hardware I currently use on my sailboat. It's the winter here so my boat won't be in the water until May, but I don't want to mess up my existing, working setup just to help debug some stuff. I'm happy to try non-destructive stuff (no updates to firmware), though.
  • The driver really should be more robust than that. The HAT might not work properly (if at all) with a mismatched driver & firmware, and that's fine, but it really shouldn't be crashing the whole system.
I get that this is open-source software, so "best effort" and all that, and I also understand that this is pre-release software. It's fine for these things to happen at this stage, and that's why I'm happy to help test stuff and report issues I find. However, please fix this before cutting the "final" release of OP2. If we want open-source marine electronics to succeed & move beyond the "geek" market, we have to take this kind of things seriously. (rant over)

I'm a Web developer, so I don't know much about Linux drivers, but let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Do not worry we are working on it and it will be solved soon.

As you said this is a pre-release. From the moment you install, test and report a pre-release you are involved in the development. We are getting more than 150 daily downloads of the pre-releases and this is great because people is torturing the system and finding bugs we would never find. But more than 150 daily persons during 2 month is too much people and many of them do not feel they are involved in development. Lesson learned.
(2020-01-23, 05:19 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Please could someone experimenting this issue (different than emilecantin) try this:

- Run a fresh OP Starting edition (no the OP Moitessier edition), HAT attached. DO NOT enable SPI and I2C yet.
- Update the system to latest kernel 4.19.93
- Edit file /boot/config.txt with sudo permission and add this line:

dtoverlay=i2c-gpio,i2c_gpio_sda=2,i2c_gpio_scl=3,bus=3

- Save /boot/config.txt and reboot.
- Enable SPI and I2C. DO NOT reboot.
- Install openplotter-moitessier app and download and install the driver for 4.19.93 from the app.
- what happens after rebooting?

have followed above (rpi3+, strompi3 and Moit-hat 1) and after installing op-moitessier kernel version xx.93 system reboots but hangs with both moitessier green LEDs full on.
(2020-01-27, 03:45 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Do not worry we are working on it and it will be solved soon.

As you said this is a pre-release. From the moment you install, test and report a pre-release you are involved in the development. We are getting more than 150 daily downloads of the pre-releases and this is great because people is torturing the system and finding bugs we would never find. But more than 150 daily persons during 2 month is too much people and many of them do not feel they are involved in development. Lesson learned.

That's great to hear. I _am_ feeling involved, don't worry. That's why I wanted to underscore the importance of this class of bugs, but I understand that you might be getting swamped. I'll try to torture test other parts of OP2 in the meantime!
Maybe my latest testing helps to find a solution.
Have stated testing from scratch again
Rpi4 (4gb), Moitessier 1, 2020-01-13-OpenPlotter-Headless-v2.0.img
did NOT update the kernel to xx.93 (as this seemed to me causing all this troubles) 
copied the deb files and cannot install moitessier hat kernel as install function remains disabled.

have then installed moit-hat manually with 
sudo dpkg -i ~/home/pi/.openplotter/moitessier/moitessier_4.19.75_1.4.0_armhf.deb
rebooted and system restarts but hangs. both green LEDs solid (hat) and raspi power red LED also solid - nothing flashing.  

See screenshots for details.

Thanks SkipperEarly, any info helps.

We keep working on this