This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED][OP2] Latest beta does not boot on RPI3+ with Moitessier HAT 1
I have a provisional solution for users with a very old firmware installed in Moitessier HAT 1:

1. DO NOT use OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT edition, use OpenPlotter Starting edition.
2. Mount your HAT 1 in a RPi3 or RPi4 running OpenPlotter Starting edition. SPI should be disabled and openplotter-moitessier app should not be installed by default.
3. Update to latest kernel with:

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

4. Edit /boot/config.txt file and add this line:

Code:
dtoverlay=i2c-gpio,i2c_gpio_sda=2,i2c_gpio_scl=3,bus=3

5. Reboot
6. Enable SPI in Menu->Preferences->Raspberry Pi configuration->Interfaces.
7. Install openplotter-moitessier app
8. Go to openplotter-moitessier app and in Drivers tab click on Download to get the latest package moitessier_4.19.93_1.4.1_armhf.deb and install it.
9. After installing the drivers and updating the firmware of your HAT 1 OpenPlotter will reboot and you are done.
10. Now you can use OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT edition if you want.

I will modify openplotter-moitessier app to do step 4 when installing and make this easier.

Test and report please.
Thank you, I just tested it, here is what I did (with lots of details, just in case):

1. Formatted an SD Card
2. Copied OP2, starting edition, NOOBS version on the SD card
3. Inserted the SD Card in my Raspberry Pi 3, with the Moitessier HAT already installed
4. Booted up and followed the instructions
4a. It did some updates, and asked me to reboot at the end, which I did.
5. Did `sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade` anyway, it didn't find any updates.
6. Added the `dtoverlay` line to the END of /boot/config.txt
7. Enabled SPI
8. Opened OpenPlotter Settings, refreshed and installed "Moitessier HAT" app
9. Opened "Moitessier HAT" app, clicked on "Download" in the drivers tab.
9a. Now I see the 1.4.1 version, but the "install" button is still grayed out.
10. Tried running "Check system" from the first tab of "Moitessier HAT" app.
10a. Saw that it complained about I2C not being enabled
11. Enabled I2C in Raspberry Pi configuration
12. Ran "Check system" from "Moitessier HAT" app again, it doesn't complain anymore
12a. Install button is still grayed out, though.
13. Closed the "Moitessier HAT" app and opened it again
13a. Now the button isn't grayed out anymore.
14. Installed driver, version 1.4.1
14a. I saw a bunch of "Wrote and verified address" messages during the install, guessing it updated my firmware.
14b. It rebooted on its own.
14c. It came back up, booting properly. I guess we can call that a SUCCESS! <- This is the step that used to fail, I'd just get a black screen
15. Went to "Moitessier HAT" app again, ran "Check System", everything OK. Ran "Check configuration", it asked me to install openplotter-i2c app.
16. Installed "I2C Sensors" app
17. Ran "Check configuration" again, now it says "Connection: not connected"
18. Went into the "Settings" tab of the moitessier app, clicked "Enable" in the GNSS area
19. "Check configuration" still says not connected.
20. Tried the "Reset" button on the main tab. "Check configuration" still says not connected.
21. Rebooted the Pi
22. "Check configuration" still says not connected.
22a. At this point I do get temperature & pressure readings from the buttons in the main tab of the moitessier app.
23. Went in the I2C app, clicked "add", and added the one thing it detected ("MS5607-02BA03")
23a. It added 2 things, pressure and temperature. Temperature didn't get an SK key, though.
24. "Check configuration" still says not connected, but it's now happy about the pressure sensor. It complains about the missing SK path for temperature.
25. Tried the full "check system" from the top bar, got a warning that "There is not SignalK connection for sensor: MS5607-02BA03"
26. Added a SK key for temperature in the I2C app
27. The full "check system" still has the same error
28. Went into the "Connections" tab of the I2C app, selected the sensor and clicked "Add Connection"
29. Now the full "Check system" doesn't have the error anymore. I also see the data in SignalK.
30. Ran "Check configuration" again from the moitessier app.
30a. Now it's happy about the pressure & temperature part, but it still says "Connection: not connected" for AIS - GNSS
31. Went into the "Serial" app, selected the moitessier port, gave it an alias and said it provided NMEA0183 data.
32. Went into the "Connections" tab of the serial app, selected the port and clicked "Add to SignalK". Clicked on "Auto" in the dialog.
32a. Now I'm getting position data in SignalK.
32b. "Check configuration" in the moitessier app is now happy about AIS - GNSS, but it still complains about pypilot.
33. Opened the pypilot app, changed the dropdown at the top to "only compass".
33a. "Check configuration" in the moitessier app still complains about pypilot, says "Connection: not connected".
34. Went into the "Connections" tab of pypilot app, selected the one thing that was there, and clicked "Add Connection".
34a. Now "Check configuration" in the moitessier app is almost 100% happy, still complains about SignakK to NMEA 0183 plugin.
35. Went into SignalK to enable that plugin, and restarted the SK server
35a. Now "Check configuration" in the Moitessier app is 100% happy.
35b. I also see some AIS targets in Freeboard (SignalK webapp), and my own boat is displayed in the correct position
35c. I also get position & AIS data in OpenCPN.

I think pretty much everything is now working. However, it's not really what I'd call a "plug & play" experience. There was this hiccup with the "Install" button that was grayed out, and then I had to manually enable & connect pretty much every sensor there is on the HAT.

Still better than an all-out crash, though!

The even better news is that everything still works on my old OpenPlotter 1 SD card. Switching between the 2 versions, everything's working as it should.

I think I'll stay on OP2, though, I've been playing with it on another Raspberry Pi and I like it a lot.
(2020-01-31, 07:09 PM)emilecantin Wrote: I think pretty much everything is now working. However, it's not really what I'd call a "plug & play" experience. There was this hiccup with the "Install" button that was grayed out, and then I had to manually enable & connect pretty much every sensor there is on the HAT.

Still better than an all-out crash, though!

Thanks for testing!

Now that the firmware of your Moitessier HAT 1 is updated you will never have this problem again and you can use the OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT edition which is really plug and play. You could have ignored from step 15 to step 35c of your procedure using that plug and play edition.

Thanks for point me to this grayed out button, easy fix because is just a GUI issue. We should just force a refresh after a "check system" or even every time you enter the "drivers" tab.
> You could have ignored from step 15 to step 35c of your procedure using that plug and play edition.

I think I'd expect the Moitessier app to at least guide me through these steps. Even better would be to create everything by itself with 1-click.

> We should just force a refresh after a "check system" or even every time you enter the "drivers" tab.

I believe it should become enabled after you click the "download" button. A less-technical user wouldn't really think of tabbing away and then coming back. A helper text telling us to click on the "Download" button would be nice, though.
(2020-01-31, 07:36 PM)emilecantin Wrote: > You could have ignored from step 15 to step 35c of your procedure using that plug and play edition.

I think I'd expect the Moitessier app to at least guide me through these steps. Even better would be to create everything by itself with 1-click.

> We should just force a refresh after a "check system" or even every time you enter the "drivers" tab.

I believe it should become enabled after you click the "download" button. A less-technical user wouldn't really think of tabbing away and then coming back. A helper text telling us to click on the "Download" button would be nice, though.

I think the "check configuration" button tells you what you have to do next and the docs are detailed enough: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ation.html

The download button only will be enabled until SPI and I2C are enabled, not when a package is available. package installation will fail without SPI and I2C.
Quote:I think the "check configuration" button tells you what you have to do next and the docs are detailed enough: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ation.html

Ah, yes that page looks very complete! I didn't think to check, but I eventually figured it out on my own. Might I suggest one thing: The "Check configuration" error messages could be a bit more explicit when they concern SignalK connections. I took me a little while to understand what kind of connection it was talking about. e.g instead of "Connection: not connected", it could say: "Connection: not connected, please create a SignalK connection for this sensor"

The 1-click auto-configuration is something that'd be really nice, but it's definitely not a priority for now, I agree. Probably something for OP 2.5.
We have a bug-fix available for Moitessier HAT 1 to work properly in OpenPlotter V2.

The issue occurs, if the following conditions are met:
- Moitessier HAT revision older than E05 (see the imprint on the bottom layer of the PCB board), i.e. any board without shutdown button --> also referred to Moitessier HAT 1 (green PCB)
- Firmware older than 1.4.0 (read firmware app version: ~/moitessier/app/moitessier_ctrl/moitessier_ctrl_$(uname -r) /dev/moitessier.ctrl 1)
- OpenPlotter V2

There is no issue using the Moitessier HAT 2.

To fix the issue, you must detach the HAT prior starting your system, otherwise the installation will fail. The mentioned steps only have to be done once. All subsequent updates can be carried out as usual once the firmware update has succeeded.
Proceed as follows:
- Shutdown system and detach HAT
- Restart the system and log in
- Open a terminal and execute the following commands:
cd ~/Desktop
wget https://get.rooco.tech/moitessier/buster..._armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i moitessier_1.20200114-1_1.5.0_armhf.deb
- The firmware update will fail after several retries, because the HAT is not attached. However, the linux device driver is updated correctly.
- Shutdown the Pi
- Attach the HAT
- Restart package installation via terminal. Firmware update will succeed as well.

Please test the new driver and report if there are still any issues. We will publish the new release afterwards. Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Thomas
(2020-02-02, 02:26 PM)Rooco Wrote: We have a bug-fix available for Moitessier HAT 1 to work properly in OpenPlotter V2.

The issue occurs, if the following conditions are met:
- Moitessier HAT revision older than E05 (see the imprint on the bottom layer of the PCB board), i.e. any board without shutdown button --> also referred to Moitessier HAT 1 (green PCB)
- Firmware older than 1.4.0 (read firmware app version: ~/moitessier/app/moitessier_ctrl/moitessier_ctrl_$(uname -r) /dev/moitessier.ctrl 1)
- OpenPlotter V2

There is no issue using the Moitessier HAT 2.

To fix the issue, you must detach the HAT prior starting your system, otherwise the installation will fail. The mentioned steps only have to be done once. All subsequent updates can be carried out as usual once the firmware update has succeeded.
Proceed as follows:
- Shutdown system and detach HAT
- Open a terminal and execute the following commands:
         cd ~/Desktop
         wget https://get.rooco.tech/moitessier/buster..._armhf.deb
- The firmware update will fail after several retries, because the HAT is not attached. However, the linux device driver is updated correctly.
- Shutdown the Pi
- Attach the HAT
- Restart package installation via terminal. Firmware update will succeed as well.

Please test the new driver and report if there are still any issues. We will publish the new release afterwards. Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Thomas

it worked on my raspi 4  - but only after having first enabled I2C and SPI interfaces in the raspi 
config. Thanks Thomas!
Please consider to add to the install program also a setup option, which loads a script to configure the signalK, serial and I2C options for the Moitessier-hat. It really cumbersome (although great for familiarization and learning :Smile to do all those steps necessary for configuring the pressure sensors and gps.
Great that it works!!!
However, SPI and I2C must be enabled manually. This can't be done by the Linux driver itself. As far as I know these options are already enabled if you use the OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT edition.

Regards,
Thomas
@Rooco, unfortunately I can't test these steps, as I already updated my HAT's firmware earlier. Thanks for the fix, though! Am I correct in assuming that a new release including these fixes will eliminate the manual step you mentioned above? That'd be great for other, less tech-savvy users.