This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SigKSens on D1 Mini with ADS1115 for power monitoring
Photo 
Need help here. I have an D1 Mini which I previously have run I2C connection to a MPU 9250 on and it have worked flawless. Now I want to change it and use it with a ADS 1115 to monitor my batteries instead, but I can not get it to work. I have changed  //#define ENABLE_MPU for #define ENABLE_ADS1115 in config.h, and I2C is of course enabled. When I look at the serial monitor i see "Scanning for i2c Sensors..." but when I look for it through my browser in <IP adress>/getSensorinfo, I get nothing. When I try to set <IP adress>/setSensorAttr?address=0x48&attrName=diff0_1&path=vessels.electrical.batteries.voltage  I get the error message: { "success": false }

I plan to hook up a Hall sensor (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACS758LCB-050...3091956413) and a 0-25V sensor (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222848285280) to monitor my current (pun intended...) battery status by sending data over signalK - possibly by tweaking it in NodeRed - but first I have to get this damned thing to work! ;-)

Attached Files Image(s)

I can't help on SigKSens, but how much current are you expecting? That Hall Sensor seems a little small for a yacht battery system. I would think you want something like 100 amps, depending on your alternator and your engine starting current.
(2020-01-27, 08:54 PM)abarrow Wrote: I can't help on SigKSens, but how much current are you expecting? That Hall Sensor seems a little small for a yacht battery system. I would think you want something like 100 amps, depending on your alternator and your engine starting current.

Depends on your setup right? I have a 30 foot racer without windlass, water heater, electrical  water pumps etc, so it is basically lights, autopilot, and instruments. I believe a 50 amp is sufficient.
Engine cranking, bow thruster and alternator going full blast into an empty battery are usually the top currents, not various equipment onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(2020-01-28, 12:05 PM)tkurki Wrote: Engine cranking, bow thruster and alternator going full blast into an empty battery are usually the top currents, not various equipment onboard.

I want to use the current sensor to see how much power I draw from my house batteries, and two voltage sensors for house- and start batteries. Tkurki - do you have an idea why I can't see the ADS on my SigKSens based D1 Mini?
If you have a battery monitor then the INA219 current sensor can be quite accurate piggy backed on top of the BMS shunt to monitor current in/out of the battery bank. . Also, JLCPCB.com do quite a few sensors now as surface mount components, get them to solder a complete board up with sensors attached probably cheaper than buying the individual senors off ebay.
(2020-01-28, 01:49 PM)PaddyB Wrote: If you have a battery monitor then the INA219 current sensor can be quite accurate piggy backed on top of the BMS shunt to monitor current in/out of the battery bank. . Also, JLCPCB.com  do quite a few sensors now as surface mount components, get them to solder a complete board up with sensors attached probably cheaper than buying the individual senors off ebay.

Yup - I've also read up on the INA219. The sweet thing with the setup I am planning is the fact that (If I get it to work) can avoid the shunt altogether. That suits my limited space well. So I am r e a l l y eager to get the ADS to talk to my D1 Mini and send data SignalKSens! :-D
(2020-01-28, 12:21 PM)Ranur Wrote: [quote='tkurki' pid='12105' dateline='1580209555']
Tkurki - do you have an idea why I can't see the ADS on my SignKSens based D1 Mini?

Bad wiring, a dead ads, dead pins on the D1?

Hello Ranur, just found your Thread. Are you shure the ADS1115 is set to ADDR 0x48 ?
It should be recognized in the Serial Debug Stream just after first booting. If not, it has an ADDR Line, set this to GND.
Look here for the Addresses: https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sbaa408/sbaa408.pdf

This PIN has also funny Addressmodes where you can set it to use one of 4 Adresses with only 1 BIT !
But the SigKSens software wants it to be on 0x48.

Good Luckj
Holger
Hi Holger,
Had missed your answer! :-o I have had some other boating stuff to tend to so I had missed/moved on from this. My OP is currently down, but once I get it up and running again, I will look into the adress issue. Also as tkuri mentioned, I'll look over the wiring on my prototype board to see if I can get it working. The other D1 I set up with 1w and an analog voltmeter on the analog input works like a charm.

//Ranur