This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Status display for motor controller
I understand your point. Have you done some studies to verify the improved precision (my guess is 1.5bits or so) actually makes a difference?
I’m reading my rudder through a simple potentiometer. The cable is unshielded and about 4 meters long until it is plugged into the motor controller. The H-Bridge is next to the motor controller and the cable is very short.
I definitely see a decrease in signal quality on my rudder sensor signal based on the cable alone. But not nearly bad enough that I would consider the signal too noisy, especially after I added a bit of filtering on the controller side.
Currently, Pypilot moves the rudder about every seven seconds. I would like to decrease that time to about 1-2 seconds for my power boat or tune it to the right value I need.
It’a just my feeling and I don’t have enough empirical data but I don’t think it’s worth the hassle, not even for the current measurement.
I much rather make the code smarter to react for the pypilot instead of waiting for the pilot to tell me to stop steering.

I would concentrate on: Complete sanity checking of commands vs current controller state as well as smarter responses when hitting predefined software endstops.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Status display for motor controller - by McNugget - 2020-02-11, 11:34 PM
Status display for motor controller - by holgerw - 2020-02-13, 08:42 PM