This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect OpenCPN to pypilot
Hi

I currently run OpenCPN/openplotter on a RPI3B+

Im planning on installing a standard pypilot solution: Raspberry pi zero + Imo + motorccontroller.

Questions: 
-Will the openplotter RPI and the Zero connect and work stable wireless?
-Can I adjust the gains of the pypilot from the interface inside the openCPN, on the RPI3B+?
Finally somebody how wants to do the same.....nobody answered my questions so far. I have build the tiny version (Zero) and have Openplotter running on a PI 4 and didn't see how I can get it to work with the standard arrangement.
Therefor tried to connect the Arduino to the PI4, but dont get it to work since i´m to stupid to get it configured.
(2020-02-12, 09:03 AM)Ola_H Wrote: Hi

I currently run OpenCPN/openplotter on a RPI3B+

Im planning on installing a standard pypilot solution: Raspberry pi zero + Imo + motorccontroller.

Questions: 
-Will the openplotter RPI and the Zero connect and work stable wireless?
-Can I adjust the gains of the pypilot from the interface inside the openCPN, on the RPI3B+?

Short to both: YES

Longer:
I run a RPI 3b+ with Tinypilot and an other with Openplotter 1.2 
You interconnect them via WIFI, i have the Tynipilot set as WIFI-Server/AccessPoint and the Openpotter as client. (But you can do it also the other way: TP as client and OP as AP) 
The WIFI connection is stable.
You can control the Pilot through the OpenCPN-Plugin in Openplotter or at OpenCPN from your Laptopp, you also can control the Pilot through any webbrowser calling the webapp and you can control also through and Keypad or Remotecontrol.

You have full access to calibration and gains with the OpenCPN plugin.

Sowere erlier in the forum I posted some pictures and videos of the Pypilot working on my Nicholson 44.

Greeting 
Andreas
I need help to get the Tiny Pilot connected to the Openplotter.

Have the Tiny Pilot working in stand alone. Can get to the Tinypilot via Web (198.162.14.1). Processor Raspberry PI3b
The Open Plotter has two WLans one for the Headless (VMC) and one for the Web. Can get to Pypilot (192.168.14.1) Processor  Raspberry PI 4

I know, that I have to configure the rest (Pyilot settings , Signal K etc.). My Gps is on a Usb port. Just don’t Know how to do it. Some hints would be welcome (bang my head....)
Thanks
Frank
(2020-02-13, 07:12 PM)Baltic Sailor Wrote: I need help to get the Tiny Pilot connected to the Openplotter.

Have the Tiny Pilot working in stand alone. Can get to the Tinypilot via Web (198.162.14.1). Processor Raspberry PI3b
The Open Plotter has two WLans one for the Headless (VMC) and one for the Web. Can get to Pypilot (192.168.14.1) Processor  Raspberry PI 4

I know, that I have to configure the rest (Pyilot settings , Signal K etc.). My Gps is on a Usb port. Just don’t Know how to do it. Some hints would be welcome (bang my head....)
Thanks
Frank

To start the easy thing is to use one of the WLAN´s of OP to connect to the Tinypilot.
Get the IP of the WLAN you have connected. (shoud be 192.168.14.1)
Open OpenCPN in OP and set the Pypilot-plugin to that IP.
Mybe later you want the Tinypilot set as an Client and connect it to the OP-Accesspoint I think it is your VMC
Greetings
Andreas
Open OpenCPN in OP and set the Pypilot-plugin to that IP

Where shell I set it? Opened the Open Plotter >Can Bus etc till XY Grib  > Network and them I am lost.
Frank

Signal K is 192.168.14.135 Same VNC and Remote desktop just different ports

The 135 has been sent from the Tiny Pilot (DNS).
First get the „OpenCPN“ plugin for pipilot. This is an option in openplotter/opencpninstall.

Now go to OpenCPN. Options/configure plugins.

Aktivate your new Plugin.

Set your IP of pipilot inside the Plugin.

Done.

Don‘t confuse the Names. Openplotter just integrates the REAL WORKING APPs. Your Boating is inside OpenCPN.
If it ist running well - make it fullscreen and never Touch Openplotter again.

Just kidding, but the first thing: make an Backup of your Bootdrive. Easy done with SD-Copy.

Happy Boating, Holger
Signal K is 192.168.14.135 Same VNC and Remote desktop just different ports
Outside of opencpn you can also connect to a remote pypilot from openplotter using:

pypilot_control <ip address>

If you connect serial gps to tinypilot it should be found by gpsd and available on port 2947 of the tinypilot.
@holgerw
I didn't think that in Openplotter › Opencpn the Plugins were not installed......all the rest is there.....assumed that it was a working package.
In addition Internet access is necessary......in order to install the missing plugins.

Is the no chance to connect the motor controller direct to the Openplotter PI?

(I hate such incomplete stuff. Used to work for a Software company and the new releases didn't even have basic functionality and only worked after the repair utilities were run....but they became better just took time....)