This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kplex root user security risk ??
Hi !

I noticed that kplex is running as root user in openplotter.  I want to user openplotter for forwarding ais to public services as marinetraffic.com

From the kplex documentation, it is found that it is not advised to run kplex as root due to security reasons.

Code:
pi@openplotter:~ $ ls -l /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 nov.  29 19:39 /dev/ttyACM0

I has been fiddling, but not successful to get openplotter/kpled to run as <pi> user, but not successful.   Maybe, the default user should be set up to be run as <your user name> as default so it will be more safe to expose openplotte to the internet ??  -

Any tips on how to change the user running openplotter from root to <your user name>  for openplotter would be appreciated.
In OpenPlotter kplex runs as user <pi>

pi@openplotter:~ $ ps aux | grep kplex
pi 3343 0.0 0.0 0 0 pts/0 Z+ 15:55 0:00 [kplex] <defunct>
pi 3395 0.1 0.1 51292 1300 pts/0 Sl+ 15:55 0:01 kplex
pi 5518 0.0 0.1 4296 1848 pts/2 S+ 16:12 0:00 grep --color=auto kplex

pi@openplotter:~ $ groups pi
pi : pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev spi i2c gpio

User pi is in group dialout. Your /dev/ttyACM0 is also in dialout. There is no need to start kplex as root.