This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA0183 streaming on 0.9.0alpha
HI all. I've just download the new alpha version of Openplotter and I want to report this.
The NMEA0183 streaming is not working. I run on a RPI v3 with:
9-DOF by Adafruit as IMU
BMP180 as Barometer
HTU210-F as Temperature - Humidity
a USB-RS422 stick
with 0.8.0 all was working well
with0.9.0 no streaming on USB. I made the same configuration.
SignalK is working

Thanks
Simone
With version 0.9.0 OpenPlotter uses SignalK as basis. Everything should go into SignalK.
If you want some SignalK data in NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 you have to use the Tool-> NMEA 0183 generator and/or NMEA 2000 generator.
There were many problems with the XDR sentences because they aren't normed. Now you can create the sentence on your own.
You can also create different sentences of one value to keep different programs or devices happy.
Thank you for the answer. I have to connect my pilot to openplotter and so I need to build the correct sentences. I'm also working on a Nmea repeater display based on Arduino, and when I saw no streaming outgoing I was a little confused. I think it would be fine to keep the compatibility with the previous version, like all the softwares, but I believe that it could be difficult. Anyway, My compliment for the awesome job you are doing for all of us!!!

Another question: what about incoming NMEA0183 sentences? Openplotter is still able to get it? I have a Wind sensor that send NMEA sentences. It will work?
You are right. It isn't good that it isn't compatible. It also isn't easy to put in the right settings into NMEA 0183 generator (SignalK works consequent with SI units NMEA doesn't)
This is an example that should work for the i2c sensors:
[NMEA0183]

sentences = [['XDR', ['C', ['environment.inside.temperature.value', 'x.x', u'-', 273.15], 'C', 'I2CT'], 1.0],['XDR', ['C', ['environment.outside.temperature.value', 'x.x', u'-', 273.15], 'C', 'I2CT'], 1.0],['XDR', ['P', ['environment.outside.pressure.value', 'x.x', u'*', 0.01], 'B', 'I2CP'], 1.0],['XDR', ['H', ['environment.inside.humidity.value', 'x.x', u'*', 0.01], 'R', 'I2CH'], 1.0],['XDR', ['A', ['navigation.attitude.roll.value', 'x.x', u'*', 57.2957795], 'D', 'I2CX'], 1.0],['XDR', ['A', ['navigation.attitude.pitch.value', 'x.x', u'*', 57.2957795], 'D', 'I2CY'], 1.0],['HDG', [['navigation.headingMagnetic.value', 'x.x', u'*', 57.2957795], '', '', '', ''], 1.0]]

You can copy this into openplotter.conf section [NMEA0183].
(There are 2x I2CT. One should be deleted or renamed. 1wire sensors could be send on the same way as done in I2CT sentence)

what about incoming NMEA0183 sentences?
Every sentence in NMEA 0183 goes into kplex so there is no change. But you can generate NMEA 0183 sentences from NMEA 2000 and analog inputs from MPC3008, ads1115, arduino or esp8266 or digital GPIO inputs (everything you see in SignalK diagnostic).
There are some info in gitbook:
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-documentation (english)
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...lexer.html
https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...pilot.html
I've  got OP 0.9.0 installed and was planning on using it to monitor my boat and engine systems,  but reading this thread trying to figure out how to set my sensors up has made me think that this is going to be completely over my head.  Hopefully,  at some point it will become something that you don't have to be a programmer to use.
(2016-12-08, 10:55 PM)LeoA Wrote: I've  got OP 0.9.0 installed and was planning on using it to monitor my boat and engine systems,  but reading this thread trying to figure out how to set my sensors up has made me think that this is going to be completely over my head.  Hopefully,  at some point it will become something that you don't have to be a programmer to use.

It's not as hard as it looks :Smile

what sensors are you hoping to run?

Temperature is pretty easy but will still need a little soldering.

No doubt there are people on here willing to help, I'll certainly help if I can.

Go for it Smile
To start with, I have some ds18b20 1wire temp sensors that I would like to use for engine temp monitoring. I have one sensor soldered to the board and have added it to openplotter. I am stumped as to what to do next to be able to read the info in gauge form.
We are trying to make all as easy as possible but remember that we are still in alpha stage. All will be easier when is finished and complex features will be explained on documentation.

Talking with e-sailing, we think that we also could set modes beginners/expert and disable some complex features.
I'm not a newbie in programming stuff: I'm a software engineer with skills in PLC, Robots and Industrial automation, and I still have some problem with nmea sentences. I very appreciate your great and huge work, and I think it's right to implement more features on signalK, but I also think that most of people that use your software have NMEA capable objects installed on-board. I believe that you cannot eliminate it, both of: 0183 and 2K, or ask to final user to program for the sentences. I understand the issues about non-standard sentences, but people needs to link openplotter to Autopilots and wind instruments. This now is very complicated. I hope you will restore NMEA sentences out-of-the-box working in beta and stable version. I will follow your work and I hope you will think about this.