This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a solution for a upcoming voyage
Hey guys,

New here and have a question

I'm setting up a opencpn system and I need a autopilot for a below decks install on a 30' cutter

The boat goes up and down the east coast of the US every 6mo, single handed with about 200W of solar and two group 31 batteries 

I WAS going to use pypilot, and use a tiller arm mounted on the rudder shaft

Plan was Pelegic, but their arm apparently needs up to 25 amps, and that doesnt seem to work with pypilot

Any solutions, or is this pypilot just for very small boats?

Here is a picture of where I would be mounting the system, boat hook was just for size reference

Thanks!

[Image: ApArea.jpg]
A hydraulic pump and ram attached to a tiller clamped to the shaft would work. Not cheap though.
Otherwise using a less powerful linear actuator is possible if you use a longer tiller to reduce the power requirements.
I am not sure which ram you are using, but unless it is hydraulic it is unlikely to draw 25 amps. Most hydraulic draw a lot less than this as well. I am building a hydraulic controller which can supply 20 amps continuous (60 amp surge), next version 30 amps.

Typically tillerpilot draws between 1-2 amps while moving the rudder. You can also drive relays with the motor controller to handle much higher power but you won't get speed control and soft starts.
What about a wheel pilot? Could you fit that somewhere?