This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filtering NMEA on an individual SignalK connection
Okay, on a cruise using OpenPlotter 2.0. I have a problem with one of my connected NMEA feeds providing bad magnetic heading information. With kplex, I was able to filter just that incoming stream and just that particular NMEA string. Now, I can't seem to find a way to do it without kluging up a kplex instance.

How do I do this with using SignalK?
Have you tried openplotter-SKfilter app?
That worked! Thanks. Still learning OP2.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Just an update on this: I spent a good deal of time below decks while on my recent passage trying different things to get True Heading to work properly. I never did, even with a lot of SK filters and SK prefers implemented. The display of the boat on OpenCPN would randomly flip from the correct heading to a heading that was around 50 degrees off. It would even display the boat heading backwards from time to time!

I'm going to have to take everything down to fundamentals to get to the bottom of this. I'm getting magnetic heading from my SeaTalk bridge as well as my Calypso ultrasonic wind sensor. I've been trying to filter so that only one of them is presenting the data to OP, but when I thought I had it fixed, it came back. SK Derived Data plugin is also trying to give me true wind, but since true heading isn't correct, it is also flipping around. One interesting thing in looking at this - it appears that I'm not getting compass deviation from GPS. Not sure why.

So, currently my plan is to disable all inputs and add them one by one to see if I can determine the source of the bad data. I'm also going to try to filter so that just the data that I want, from the source I want, is presented to OP. As I said before, with OP 1.2 I was able to use KPLEX to filter, but then I didn't have the Calypso.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this? I notice in the OP stable release that came out today that KPLEX is there. I'm going to try to do this without it if I possibly can!
Log your data, then you have a chance to actually see where the bogus data is coming from. If the problem is intermittent you may need quite a lot of systematic on and off flipping to catch the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks thurki. I wish I'd been smart enough to log data while on passage. It's much more evident when the boat is moving.