This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OP 2.0, RPI4, and pypilot getting started
OK, so here's where I am so far.  Have an RPI4, USB GPS dongle, installed V2.0 of openplotter.  Everything working fine.

Have an ST4000 wheel pilot
Bought IMU MPU9250
Bought Sean's $80 motor controller

Wiring:

Motor Controller:
Brown to pin1 (tied to IMU VCC)
White to pin8
Blue to pin10
Black to pin6
Black and red power to 12V
White wires to ST4000 motor

IMU:
VCC to pin1 (tied to motor controller brown)
SDA to pin3
SLC to pin5
GND to pin9

I have red and green lights on the motor controller.

Enabled I2C in Pi settings (because Pypilot GUI said to do so)

"Check settings" showed "please enable a signal k connection for Pypilot NMEA 01830.  See picture "check settings 1" pic.  So I went to pypilot and selected "add connection" for both.  See "add connection" pic.

See pic "status" which shows what I see from pypilot and the web control interface.  Note "compass or gyro failure. no motor controller".

I'm brand new to all of this. Would anyone like to comment on what I've done so far and what to do now?

Attached Files Image(s)

First of all you need to update all openplotter apps to latest versions. Do this in settings app.

Then you should remove any serial connection in opencpn and connect your gps and the motor controller using the serial app.
OK, thanks.  So I updated to latest versions and removed all serial connections from opencpn.  I've since been making all kinds of trial and error attempts at making something happen via what I see others doing in forum posts.  One thing I've done is press the UART button in the serial application.  It warned me that I'm disabling bluetooth and then rebooted.  Now in the serial interface, I see:
ttyUSB0, which I've established in my USB GPS dongle (because it comes/goes when I unplug)
serial8250  ttyS0
fe201000.serial  ttyAMA0

Another piece of information:  In "Check settings", under "check pypilot", I'm warned "please enable a Signal K connection for Pypilot NMEA 01830 data"

Again, I've made some trial efforts at signal K connections, adding things to Pypilot, adding things to Signal K.  

Can somebody point me in the right direction, step by step?
could you run "i2cdetect -y 1"

be sure to assign /dev/ttyAMA0 to pypilot and ensure that you have the hardware serial port (disable bluetooth)
(2020-03-21, 07:59 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: could you run "i2cdetect -y 1"

be sure to assign /dev/ttyAMA0 to pypilot and ensure that you have the hardware serial port (disable bluetooth)

Progress!  I gave /dev/ttyAMA0 an alias an added to pypilot.  I can now run the AP motor in both directions.  Still get "compass or gyro failure".  "i2cdetect -y 1" shows 0x68 in use.

Attached Files Image(s)

you should check that you don't have more than one program competing for the i2c bus.
(2020-03-24, 03:42 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: you should check that you don't have more than one program competing for the i2c bus.

Thanks Sean.  I've trying to learn about i2c and experiment, but not sure how to check this. Here's what I get in the i2c tool:

Attached Files Image(s)