This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
... get my own Can USB Converter
Hey,
where can i get my own Can USB Converter? In the Shop it is sold out... Is there a Date when it will avalible again?
i there a possability to build it on my own?
I have read that the use of the Actisense software for reading the NMEA2000 data is licensed and perhaps the use is illegal.

At the SignalK/Canboat site is the information that also the Canable Adapter can be used. That is a better idea to use an Open Source solution.

I now have such a Canable board to see if this works also with OpenPlotter. Installing the software worked.

Can0 seems to be available but does not show up in OpenPlotter setup.

I have not used it in a working condition, because the boat is in the winter layup.

Bram
Cool,
thanks for your reply.
What Kind do you ordered?
This small board is called canable en comes in two versions. It all seems to work in OpenPlotter (Raspian-Linux) and with the can-utils i can send and receive a can message.

However I cannot get this board in can-nmea2000 working in OpenPlotter. Can0 does not show up in the can-usb device. Setting the config file to can0 does not give a response.

This board is perhaps a better idea then using the licensed Actisence codes.

Any idea's how to solve this ? The SignalK and Canboat developer indicates this board also works with their software.

Regards,

Bram
(01-23-2019, 10:42 AM)verkerkbr Wrote: This small board is called canable en comes in two versions. It all seems to work in OpenPlotter (Raspian-Linux) and with the can-utils i can send and receive a can message.

However I cannot get this board in can-nmea2000 working in OpenPlotter. Can0 does not show up in the can-usb device. Setting the config file to can0 does not give a response.

Any idea's how to solve this ? The SignalK and Canboat developer indicates this board also works with their software.

Regards,

Bram

The setting in the OpenPlotter menu does not work with can0. At first you have to flash the Canable board with the required software. I have used the Candlelight software version. Then you must start the board. sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 50000.

You can also install the can-utils, With this you send a test text (cansend can 0) and received it in another terminal with candump can0.

Then go to the SignalK setup, after first logging in. Go to servers dataproviders NMEA2000 Id OPcan NMEA2000 source there are 4 choiches. If I take the Canbus(canboat) interface can0. Enabled and switching on. Apply. Then the OPcan server is running without error messages.

I have not tried this with a "real world" Nmea2000 system.

But is seems to work avoiding Actisense software use.

Bram
(01-23-2019, 01:32 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 10:42 AM)verkerkbr Wrote: This small board is called canable en comes in two versions. It all seems to work in OpenPlotter (Raspian-Linux) and with the can-utils i can send and receive a can message.

Regards,

Bram

The setting in the OpenPlotter menu does not work with can0. At first you have to flash the Canable board with the required software. I have used the Candlelight software version. Then you must start the board. sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 50000.

You can also install the can-utils, With this you send a test text (cansend can 0) and received it in another terminal with candump can0.

Then go to the SignalK setup, after first logging in. Go to servers dataproviders NMEA2000 Id OPcan NMEA2000 source there are 4 choiches. If I take the Canbus(canboat) interface can0. Enabled and switching on. Apply. Then the OPcan server is running without error messages.

Bram

I have to make a correction to my former post. Nmea2000 canbus has a bitrate of 250 kilobits.

The setting for the board must be 250000 instead of 500000. After instaling in SignalK setup canserver menu, all seems to work. OPcan server displays "connected" with no error messages. Cansend and candump also works.

Now is the time tot test it with an NMEA2000 system.

No license NMEA fee. No Actisense copyright material use. Exiting !

Bram
(01-29-2019, 05:22 AM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 01:32 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:

Regards,

Bram

Bram

I have to make a correction to my former post. Nmea2000 canbus has a bitrate of 250 kilobits.

The setting for the board must be 250000 instead of 500000. After instaling in SignalK setup canserver menu, all seems to work. OPcan server displays "connected" with no error messages. Cansend and candump also works.

Now is the time tot test it with an NMEA2000 system.

No license NMEA fee. No Actisense copyright material use. Exiting !

Bram

Just did a real world trial with an NMEA2000 connection. It worked direct after the connection had been made. SignalK instruments were working. You only have to made adjustment in SignalK set up to start the OPCan server.

And it does not use Actisense code (copy-righted ?)

Bram
Adding the conversion plugin SignalK to NMEA183 also works. Now is it possible to use Nmea2000 input via SignalK with output to Nmea183 format and use in OpenCPN.

In the plugin SignalK/nmea183 you can choose which sentences you like to receive.

Bram
I was now able to do a real test with an working NMEA2000 connection and report that this setup also works.
Setting the adapter to the NMEA2000 bitrate of 250K. In SignalK server settings: Switching on the OPcan, the OPkplex and the SignalK NMEA183 converter.

Then receiving the NMEA183 data via localhost 10110 in OpenCPN.

Bram

It does not use the Actisense code and does not work from the OpenPlotter can menu
(01-18-2019, 06:34 AM)verkerkbr Wrote: I have read that the use of the Actisense software for reading the NMEA2000 data is licensed and perhaps the use is illegal.

Why do you want to use Actisense NMEA reader PC-Software on the raspberry pi ???
There is no need to use any Actisense software with openplotter. And openplotter, canboat and signalk are all open source.

If openplotter detects can0 it should be able to do all the settings in signalk.