This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDR AIS not calibrating OP2
If you run "initial ppm" for hours probably you will be really close to the final ppm value, using the GSM band you just find the exact value but ppm is +/-7 tolerant.

If you get 1 ppm means that you have the Australian device or a clone and probably 1 is your final ppm.

You do not need the terminal. Using the GUI is the same you do with the terminal.
(2020-05-18, 01:46 PM)Sailoog Wrote: If you run "initial ppm" for hours probably you will be really close to the final ppm value, using the GSM band you just find the exact value but ppm is +/-7 tolerant.

If you get 1 ppm means that you have the Australian device or a clone and probably 1 is your final ppm.

You do not need the terminal. Using the GUI is the same you do with the terminal.

Thank you Sailoog and I really appreciate all you and the team have achieved with 2.0.
All the SDR-VHF apps, except tv, are working well on my cheap and a few years old SDR with a home made whip aerial located 2m off the ground in my garden. I have tried the calibration pop-up lots of times without success however kal in terminal works every time. Out of interest, as I’m not a software engineer, where does the information go to in the programme, after clicking on the pop-up buttons which then opens the terminal and saves the initial ppm?
(2020-05-18, 01:46 PM)Sailoog Wrote: If you run "initial ppm" for hours probably you will be really close to the final ppm value, using the GSM band you just find the exact value but ppm is +/-7 tolerant.

Sailoog - thanks again!

I set the PPM to 1 and the gain to 49.6 then set the port number (well just saved the default). Then I checked that there was an AIS connection in signal K but didn’t see anything on the page that shows live data (Data Browser - can’t remember). When I went into OpenCPN I did not see any AIS data so I rebooted and changed the antenna from the mast mounted Antenna to an antenna from a hand held unit that I had nearby.

From my mooring I can see the lake express (Lake Michigan fast ferry), so thought at least I would get that with the small antenna. I did and two other entries, not sure how far they were away.

I did try to get a radio check from 5 miles offshore using my mast mounted Antenna and got a weak and unreadable response. I need to find a meter to check how the antenna is working.
This morning is was able to spend some more time and switched to the mast mounted Antenna and found the following:

[Image: 4e79e303ae0f1aa9c81d56b504240568.jpg]

Furthest away is 17.73 Nm - seams pretty good
(2020-05-18, 03:25 PM)Johnnysails Wrote: Thank you Sailoog and I really appreciate all you and the team have achieved with 2.0.
All the SDR-VHF apps, except tv, are working well on my cheap and a few years old SDR with a home made whip aerial located 2m off the ground in my garden. I have tried the calibration pop-up lots of times without success however kal in terminal works every time. Out of interest, as I’m not a software engineer, where does the information go to in the programme, after clicking on the pop-up buttons which then opens the terminal and saves the initial ppm?

If you are running the latest version of openplotter-sdr-vhf app the GUI runs exactly the same than running kal in a terminal including gain.
Calibration works fine now, with 2.1.1 beta. My error previously was not putting an initial figure in the settings, ppm box. 2.1.1 beta gives you a nudge If you miss that. Numerical entries are needed in ppm and gain. All clear now thanks.
Hi there!

I'm still struggling to find any channels with kal using:
kal -d 0 -s GSM900 -e 23 -g 49.6 -Dv

After kal fails to find any channels the Debug mode (-D) starts to list many messages of the form:
debug: error limit: 0.9     ...  where the values range from about 0.8 to 1.2

Rpi 3B+ with RTL SDR v3  Kalibrate v0.4.1-rtl
(is that the right version?)

Grateful for any pointers on this!