This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter 1.2.0 Alpha to v2?
Should this be possible on a RPI3B? I can't find the right thread and I rather don't loose my UUID for OpenCPN and a map that I bought.
Ive been through this about a month ago and apparently there is no upgrade option.
You just need to make a careful note of all your settings and start from scratch with OP2.
(Its worth exporting/backing-up your Node-Red Flows if you use it extensively as I do)
BTW - I believe that you can re install your ENC charts up to four times without buying a new Permit
(I was certainly able to re-instal my Turkish S63 charts OK having reinstalled OP/OCPN)
I'm in the same situation. There is no upgrade from 1.2 to 2 and a fresh install is required. I believe but may be wrong) that o-charts can't be moved over and either the second license must be used or a new license purchased. Personally, I have found moving to OP2 to be far harder than setting up any previous version of OP. In OP 0.x and 1.x the base install worked and you just had to add you own feeds, etc. OP2 doesn't seem to come as a working product - all software is installed but it's no longer as easy as adding your own feed and seeing your data appear everywhere. Plus the old OpenPlotter app is no longer available so you need to know how to configure Signal K and Kplex, etc. Unfortunately, the documentation is also less developed than in previous versions. OP2 looks to be a great step forward but unless I've missed something there seems to be a steeper learning curve than before and so far I've failed to get it working.

Jon
(2020-05-17, 09:26 AM)dorsetjon Wrote: I'm in the same situation. There is no upgrade from 1.2 to 2 and a fresh install is required. I believe but may be wrong) that o-charts can't be moved over and either the second license must be used or a new license purchased. Personally, I have found moving to OP2 to be far harder than setting up any previous version of OP. In OP 0.x and 1.x the base install worked and you just had to add you own feeds, etc. OP2 doesn't seem to come as a working product - all software is installed but it's no longer as easy as adding your own feed and seeing your data appear everywhere. Plus the old OpenPlotter app is no longer available so you need to know how to configure Signal K and Kplex, etc. Unfortunately, the documentation is also less developed than in previous versions. OP2 looks to be a great step forward but unless I've missed something there seems to be a steeper learning curve than before and so far I've failed to get it working.

Jon

Something doesn't sound quite right - I've found V2 much easier. Serial data gets added in the serial app, wifi data in signalk/server/connections. Or you can add serial inputs to signalk there as instead of using the seriall app. That's it, any nmea coming in goes straight through to opencpn. No need to bother with kplex anymore unless you like it and want to. Signalk does it all now. 
https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...l_app.html
Thanks PaddyB. I'm sure V2 is much better but I'm struggling to know where to start. In V0 & V1 I did everything through the OpenPlotter application and didn't need to know what was happening in the background and whether I was using Kplex or Signal K, etc. It just worked. I know very little about Signal K and Kplex and Serial, etc, and for a user without that knowledge I find V2 much harder to use. I got V0.x working very quickly but have had no success with V2. But I've learnt some things from your reply so thank you for that. Is there some documentation that explains how to setup V2, e.g. explaining the fundamentals of what apps to use to achieve different things? I've read the document you mentioned in your post but that seems to assume the user knows when to use Serial and Signal K and what they are, etc.

Jon
(2020-05-17, 05:55 PM)dorsetjon Wrote: Thanks PaddyB. I'm sure V2 is much better but I'm struggling to know where to start. In V0 & V1 I did everything through the OpenPlotter application and didn't need to know what was happening in the background and whether I was using Kplex or Signal K, etc. It just worked. I know very little about Signal K and Kplex and Serial, etc, and for a user without that knowledge I find V2 much harder to use. I got V0.x working very quickly but have had no success with V2. But I've learnt some things from your reply so thank you for that. Is there some documentation that explains how to setup V2, e.g. explaining the fundamentals of what apps to use to achieve different things? I've read the document you mentioned in your post but that seems to assume the user knows when to use Serial and Signal K and what they are, etc.

Jon

What are you actually trying to do? If you have nmea coming in from a serial/usb dongle then just open the serial app, select the device in the list, give it a name and set it nmea0183, then click apply. >
[Image: d0Yi3Ri.png]
[Image: NFGCich.png]
then on the second tab select the same device and click 'add to signalk' 
That's it. All the data goes to signalk and the nmea goes striaght through to port 10110 which is already set up up opencpn. 
[Image: ExuaicP.png]