This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPAPB and tacking in wind mode
Thanks for the reply's, 

I'm now starting to understand how Sean made the Tacking and why. 
I have tried tacking with the compass calibrated but it didn't turn the boat with the set tacking angle of 100 degrees. At most it did about 10 degrees (with default settings treshold 50% and turnrate 20 degrees/s). I will play with the settings the next couple off days (turnrate and treshold) to see if it makes a difference. 

It would be good if tacking with turnrate and treshold was working the way Sean designed it. 

On the other hand I think it would be not that difficult to implement that if the user sets turning rate to '0' the TP would just do a "simple" course change with the set tacking angle. This way it is also possible to do a simple tacking or +/-100 (tackangle) from the buttons on TP without OpenCPN/OpenPlotter.

Another option to make tacking go faster could be to turn the rudder about 30 degrees in the tacking direction and then set the new course.

I will let you know the results.

Regards Rob

Messages In This Thread
GPAPB and tacking in wind mode - by rmvdmrl - 2020-05-16, 08:19 PM
RE: GPAPB and tacking in wind mode - by ironman - 2020-05-19, 07:46 AM
RE: GPAPB and tacking in wind mode - by rmvdmrl - 2020-05-19, 07:28 PM
RE: GPAPB and tacking in wind mode - by rmvdmrl - 2020-05-24, 02:23 PM
RE: GPAPB and tacking in wind mode - by johnm - 2020-06-05, 07:47 PM
RE: GPAPB and tacking in wind mode - by ddelorme - 2020-06-03, 11:07 PM
RE: GPAPB and tacking in wind mode - by johnm - 2020-06-06, 03:56 PM