This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signal K and VWT sentence (True Wind)
Searched for anything "VWT" in the forum, and couldn't find anything, so here it goes:

Signal K doesn't seem to accept my wind instruments VWT sentence.  Specifically, here's an example:
$IIVWT,38,R,10.1,N,5.1,M,18.7,K*60

When putting that into the SK Data Fiddler, there are no complaints, but also no deltas.  I've also erased the checksum, but that doesn't change SK.

As SK passes all NMEA0183 to 10110, OpenCPN and qtVlm have no problem displaying the True Wind angle and speed.

My goal is to display, and log into InfluxDB, true wind angle (relative to boat) and speed, as well as calculate, display and log true wind direction (compass direction) and speed.  How can I accomplish this?  (My wind instruments calculate and show true wind compass direction as well, but it does not produce a MWD sentence.)

Thanks,
Chad
S/V Kookaburra
I see now that there's a signalk-derived-data plugin to generate these things from my other existing data, but the question still remains as to why Signal K doesn't process my VWT sentence.
Vwt is an odsolete sentence though a few programs still seem to recognize it. You could probably change it into something signalk recognises in node red though the derived data can probably do just the same thing.
The answer is the same as to the often heard question ”why doesn’t open source software x support y”: because nobody has written the code needed to do that.

The list of supported sentences is at https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-parse...ster/hooks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
here's a little node-red which sends your VWT speed to environment/wind/speedTrue and angle to environment/wind/angleTrueGround, should work Smile  >

Code:
[
   {
       "id": "485c6a6a.b30564",
       "type": "tcp in",
       "z": "1ffaa926.033937",
       "name": "",
       "server": "client",
       "host": "10.10.10.1",
       "port": "10110",
       "datamode": "stream",
       "datatype": "utf8",
       "newline": "",
       "topic": "",
       "base64": false,
       "x": 220,
       "y": 640,
       "wires": [
           [
               "3141d807.47a188"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "3141d807.47a188",
       "type": "switch",
       "name": "Filter just pressure",
       "property": "payload",
       "propertyType": "msg",
       "rules": [
           {
               "t": "regex",
               "v": "^(?=.*IIVWT)",
               "vt": "str",
               "case": false
           }
       ],
       "checkall": "true",
       "repair": false,
       "outputs": 1,
       "x": 290,
       "y": 720,
           [
               "44800ded.615034",
               "c5daff41.52d96"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "44800ded.615034",
       "type": "function",
       "func": "msg.split = msg.payload.split(',');\nmsg.angle = msg.split[1] * 3.14 / 180;\nmsg.speed = msg.split[5];\nif (msg.split[2] != 'R') {\n    msg.angle = msg.angle * -1;\n}\nmsg.topic = 'environment/wind/angleTrueGround'\nmsg.payload = msg.angle;\nreturn msg;",
       "noerr": 0,
       "x": 500,
       "y": 680,
           [
               "1f3f4db4.1f3cf2"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "c5daff41.52d96",
       "type": "function",
       "func": "msg.split = msg.payload.split(',');\nmsg.angle = msg.split[1] * 3.14 / 180;\nmsg.speed = msg.split[5];\nif (msg.split[2] == 'R') {\n    msg.angle = msg.angle * -1;\n}\nmsg.topic = 'environment/wind/speedTrue'\nmsg.payload = msg.speed;\nreturn msg;",
       "noerr": 0,
       "x": 510,
       "y": 740,
           [
               "10c8a381.61f7fc"
           ]
       ]
   },
   {
       "id": "1f3f4db4.1f3cf2",
       "type": "signalk-send-pathvalue",
       "source": "",
       "x": 830,
       "y": 680,
       "wires": []
   },
   {
       "id": "10c8a381.61f7fc",
       "type": "signalk-send-pathvalue",
       "source": "",
       "x": 810,
       "y": 740,
       "wires": []
   }
]
(2020-05-25, 03:38 AM)PaddyB Wrote: here's a little node-red which sends your VWT speed to environment/wind/speedTrue and angle to environment/wind/angleTrueGround, should work Smile 
Thanks!  This will also help me understand node red a bit more.